The VAR Blunder Thread

That’s another thing, why don’t we have this? Surely the cost is coming down all the time as it is more widely implemented. Isn’t the technology Australian as well (by the guys who made Hawk-eye)?

Costs “coming down” and “Australian” are an oxymoron. The fact that it is Australian mean that costs AREN’T going to be low. The only thing that’s cheap in this country, is the level of public discourse.

I think that goal-line technology is fairly costly. It works well but only covers exactly one use case, whereas VAR could be used for a bunch of these.

Here is an article where GLT is put at $500k per stadium. The article also contains a convincing argument AGAINST GLT - namely that it was being called for after a Gui Finkler goal for Melbourne was incorrectly and hilariously judged to have not crossed the line.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/high-cost-stands-in-way-of-goalline-technology/news-story/23e549d9abc514a3844ced59c0e20887

There was also an article regarding using it in MLS where US$3900 cost per game on top of the installation was quoted. I’d also guess that with our multi-sport venues, where the goalposts are taken down when other sports use the grounds would mean extra calibration time every game.

I am not a fan of VAR nor do i think i ever will be!
we have seen time and time again that VAR still comes down to opinion and unfortunately, thats never going to change the feeling of ‘being robbed’ when VAR goes against your team. Lets just blame the ref (like we always have) and avoid the whole technology discussion all together. We’ve seen that dodgy VAR decisions tend to even themselves out just like refs calls have, so lets just save the time it takes to make a decision and expense to have VAR and leave it like it always has been. put the money to marketing, grass roots or anything else that will actually help improve the game

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t make it clear in my post but they were supposed to be 2 separate points. I probably should have used a new paragraph.

The “Australian Made” line is pretty well throwaway and is more part of that “mates rates” ideal that doesn’t really exist. Why would they give the FFA the technology at a knock down price when it sells for top dollar overseas? Because mate, come on, fkn Aussies mate!
The only advantage it would have is that nothing is lost in currency conversion and the weakening Aus$, providing of course that the product is sold in Aus$ (highly doubtful).

On Cost: With more and more units being used/produced and the technology proven, it wouldn’t be as expensive as 3-5 years ago (the Finkler article cost?).
Using the MLS figure, A$5000 per game seems very steep and I’d be interested to see the breakdown of that. Assuming that it is correct and what we would face here then I agree that cost is still prohibitive. It’s a $675k spend for the season, not including FFA Cup or Finals, for something that will maybe not even be used. It’s hard for the FFA to justify spending that as well as whatever VAR costs but when the HAL becomes independent is something that should be pursued.

On calibration: This is what would be occurring anyway, it would be part of the pre game checks. Goalposts are generally removed so the groundsman can use heat lamps (in Europe and I’ve seen them used at Homebush) to encourage grass repair & growth in the goal mouth as well as so they can mow the pitch and mark the lines. The VAR offside system needs to be calibrated each game as well so it would form part of the operational costs.

Why has no one commented on the fact that they have to wear referee gear in the VAR bunker.

2 Likes

Fair play. It’s all about getting in the state of mind.
I used to have a colleague who used to telecommute from Brisbane and he said he always put on a clean ironed shirt and work pants as for any day of work, as it made it easier to get into work mindset, and also to clock off at the end.
Also with the refs in the bunker, I like it because it makes them look like full kit wankers.

1 Like

KGJ was wearing white adidas runners for the Perth/WSW game. Unacceptable and I hope there is an adequate punishment dished out.

Probably the only shoe at the time he could those enormous flippers in.

He should probably stick to a merman tail then.

Was that the VAR suggesting yellow cards just now?

I as wondering that myself. Aren’t they only meant to intervene on serious foul play… so red cards.

It was foul play, I assume the VAR thought it didn’t warrant a red either way, hence the yellows.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Bozza.

The discussions about whether the VAR decision is right or wrong is the same as the discussion about refs decisions. They are not necessarily clear cut.

Ok, it is correcting some errors but it is destroying the game.

Fuck it off.

1 Like

VAR wouldn’t be so bad if our referees were actually competent. Before anyone dispels that, note how many Australian officials went to the last World Cup. A big fat ZERO.

VAR also wouldn’t be so bad if FIFA allowed VAR to communicate their decisions in real time, much like the bunker does in the NRL. It would surely reduce confusion as to the thinking of a final decision. Most people thought tonight’s decision referred to whether Zullo was fouled or not, but that’s not precisely what was being looked at.

Jokes aside and the hilarity of their supporters imploding and saying theyll follow the NPL from now on, that first one was a goal to me if. It was hardly a shocker of a decision and VAR has to be for that. Its not taken the controversy away at all and is a complete joke of a system at the moment.

I watched the game online, what else were they looking at? The Zullo foul was the only reason it went back. Personally I thought it was again a poor VAR decision despite being in our favour, the VAR has to go in its current form, it simply isn’t working. It’s a shame these decisions are spoiling great contests like tonight. VAR adds nothing to the A-league or football for that matter, it only creates confusion and more controversy. It shits me week on week the VAR keeps coming up, it’s been a disaster.

The attacker was offside and interfered with play by being in Zullo’s way. The foul or no foul was irrelevant.

Technically correct decision, baffling process.

3 Likes

The whole point of bringing in the system was to stop the upset over bad decisions.
While on the whole it is technically correct, it is causing more upset than the bad decisions it was meant to correct.
Last nights decision was technically correct, but how much upset would there have been if it did not interfere?
In offside calls it is being used far too frequently and is in many close cases no better than the linesman’s call.
The camera is rarely in line with the play, how accurate is the picking of the frame as to when the ball leaves the boot?

It has been brought in as a trial to see if it improves the game through getting decisions correct. It may be correcting some decisions but is stuffing the game. Overall I do not see it as an improvement.

I am surprised no one has blamed it as part of the problem for falling crowds last year.

1 Like

It is interesting to note the complete turnaround in support for VAR by the Fox pundits this year.

I have also noticed that they have stopped referring to it as Macca’s VAR. Maybe they are no longer getting free Big Macs.

Bozza will be the first 1 yelling for the VAR to be reinstated if they can it and the ref’s miss a few offside calls

2 Likes