TV Ratings and Revenue

Speed’s biggest problem is that he tries to be a football analyst too many times. Instead of just sticking to commentary he gives too much football opinion, which arises from a football uneducated base, so comes across as a dufus.

This analysis and dufusness is magnified on Twitter.

Yes he is.

2 Likes

I think the biggest problem is just that he tries too hard to be one of he boys, it’s like he’s constantly seeking social inclusion from the guy next to him but that schtick is more suited to breakfast radio… the Meataxes with Wazza, Jonno & Speedy.

If he just called the game and left the colour to the secondary commentator he wouldn’t be half as bad.

2 Likes

As part of the commentary pool for the Asian Cup, this is exactly what he did. He and Harper just called the games and left the schtick at home. He and Harper were the pick of the bunch.

You guys are a joyless bunch, aren’t you.

He’s not that bad. Put it this way - he’s way better than the worst of AFL or Cricket. He’s no Eddie McGuire, for example.

The HAL can be pretty boring sometimes. Who can blame him for having a bit of fun calling Central Coast vs Perth on a Sunday afternoon, for the third time in a season.

And I like it when Zelic cracks the shits with him.

3 Likes

Yeah mate, we’re football fans.

5 Likes

This I will agree with. And Phil fucking Gould in the NRL, and pretty much anyone else connected to any of Channel Nine’s coverage of the NRL, but Gould in particular is an absolute fuckwit.

Speed is most definitely not a fuckwit and seems like a really good guy on the surface, but I find him really irritating at times, to the point I want to just mute the coverage. Others would just switch to another channel, which is a worse outcome overall. As others have suggested, I reckon if he can chill out a bit more, everyone, including himself, would benefit.

Relevant bit of info in this. Kayo had 115k subscribers as of February

Speed is shit. I made the mistake of watching the Broncos v Dragons game on Thursday night. Two nights in a row of Speed commentary. It’s enough to make you change the channel.

Commentary, on the whole, for any sport in this country is shit.

I’ve just had a look at Kayo. The concept looks interesting. There’s a lot of content there, and some sports-specific options like “No Spoilers”, choosing between highlights and watching a full game, but probably less random stuff than you’d usually see on Fox Sports/ESPN/beIN. So you’re getting $25 a month (unless you want it for 3 devices at once, then its $35 for almost the same amount of content? I’d say that’s pretty good if you’re not going to watch any other stuff on Foxtel’s main package, or movies.

Kayo also doesn’t appear to be accessible on consoles yet, which is quite important to me as I can watch on my TV proper.

I’m really only hanging onto Foxtel for the final season of Game of Thrones, then I’ll probably move on from it.

Kayo is good. $25 a month and works well off my iPad. Tried espn+ with a proxy but too much faff. Still Murdoch though.

Kayo is fox with a replay option. Just buy a Chromecast for your tv

Replay/on demand is great from Kayo (watched last night’s formula 1 on the commute this morning). Split screen option can be handy too for two live options at the same time. All the sports from Foxtel sports package are there with the exception of the football team channels. You can watch individual
sports/games/shows or the full channel option. Cast to the tv. Way better than FOX subscription for mine. And cheaper!

How can they stream all these sports that Foxtel owns the rights to?

It’s owned by Fox.

1 Like

KAYO is Foxtel’s streaming option.

1 Like

You can still watch those channels via Kayo. :wink:

haha ok ignore me, nothing to see here!

Minus Eurosport :weary:

That is the really, really sad thing when you switch from Fox to Kayo. The only downside that I have found.