Western Sydney Wanderers Thread- Cosplay Ultras Edition

Paartalu interview. He craps on about some other stuff but I thought this bit was interesting re Wanderers ACL run…

“… I mean look at Wanderers, for example. The boys get themselves to the final and the night before the game, guys were texting me talking about the bonus, what they were going to get. They were still trying to negotiate a bonus.

“And that bonus they came out with was an absolute joke, to be honest. But winning the Champions League was like, a monthly salary in Asia. It was an absolute joke and the boys were getting taxed on it and … so you’re kind of going, they’re winning, what is it? 1%, $1,500,000, that club would get.

“And I don’t think they received even half of that, the players. When you go to other clubs in Asia, they will go, ‘If you win the Champions League there’s $100,000 U.S. in your contract straight away.’ Whereas the Wanderers, the night before the final are going, “How much are we getting?

It would also be very interesting to understand the salary cap implications from giving such bonuses.

Would suggest it’s separate for ACL as salary cap rules are purely for a-league aren’t they? Teams can sign players purely for ACL and pay them outside the cap as far as I know

That’s because they’re signed purely for ACL. Generally anything paid to an A-League player counts towards the cap, but there might be a specific exemption for match fees and/or bonuses for other competitions.

I’d suggest that there would be separate incentives. The issue, if it was included, is a club that maxes out the salary cap, would be found breaching the salary cap should the progress to the later stages.

This shit is what I live for:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/04/12/do-the-western-sydney-wanderers-still-have-fans/

And when the Wanderers take on Leeds United in what should be a sold-out friendly at Bankwest Stadium in July, several thousand of these fans will suddenly reappear.

They should probably think twice about labelling other fans ‘Eurosnobs’ or ‘plastics’ when they do so.

2 Likes

Love a good pre derby windup but the best part about that piece is it’s 100% true.

One of the key differences between how WSW handled the displacement and how SFC have is in regards to the approach to the stadium deals. It appears that WSW held a survey and then after the results came in just made a decision and locked in to a 3 year deal with ANZ/Spotless.

SFC on the other hand have been far more cautious. I believe they’re taking it one season at a time, and this will pay off. It’s clear that despite the SCG being voted as the preferred home venue, in reality, it hasn’t worked out. Our fans have voiced their opinion, and SFC management are in a position to re-evaluate for next season.

This is going off what Scott Barlow said at the members’ forum - that they were only considering the first year and then will re-evaluate. Also that Bankwest stadium could be an option for some games in future seasons.

1 Like

= leverage. We play our semi there this year or we walk. :wink:

Problem is, it’s not our decision, it’s the FFA’s. I’m certain the FFA will shy away from that option.

However, what will be interesting is if SFC have discussions with Bankwest stadium for next season (would only be a few games I’d imagine). WSW management seem hell-bent on stopping that, but they’re a tenant, and have no real control, and no leverage at all (they’ve signed a long term deal, so they can’t make any threats). You’d think the stadium would be keen for any opportunity for additional income, so if SFC are keen, I’m pretty sure it would go ahead.

Yeah that’s right. Wonder in what stead that will hold the FFA next time they’re looking for a government handout, if they’ve already knocked back the option of playing at and using a facility costing $360M in public funds.

That’s a great counter argument.

Bank West would give them a bigger crowd whilst also having better facilities for their beloved corporates, would seem a no brainer for them

In their minds, a bigger crowd will be at ANZ, they’d be expecting that it will sell out.

It will be interesting to see the crowd figures for tonights Derby@ ANZ.
Will they hold the record for the biggest and smallest derby crowds?I’m guessing Yes.

Nah the smallest will be in the teens at the old Parra. Should be more than that here.
Someone up thread posted a PAX of 22k, plus say half Wests members attend it should be around 30k. I’d go for 26k.

18043@ the most recent A league Derby…they hold the record for HAL…AND FFA cup…14k@ Penriff(one of the Westy words i know).

To be fair, that most recent derby was the one with the absolutely apocalyptic rain where kick off had to be delayed by at least an hour.

On a Sunday as well, no?

I would be amazed if the Sydney derby didn’t happen at Wank Best for round one.