Western United Thread

Still don’t know how they have decided to not have any resemblance to Melbourne or Geelong in any of their marketing yet. I guess “western” is intended to cover a larger distric of Victoria but I feel this leads to the club’s lack of identity.

6 Likes

Going by that logic, that would include associating Ballarat as part of its identity, which from personal experience is basically the Victorian equivalent of Lithgow. Not even the Wanderers are that bad.

What does the ‘V’ stand for?

Western suburbs parochialism is a melbourne thing. Not a class issue like Sydney just a geographic thing. They’ll do alright support wise I reckon and if they can entice Geelongers (?) its a reasonable pool of Tards.

FTWVT

I don’t mind it, shows the club is being formed for the long haul

Logo looks like Western Vaginas

No, they are a bit further North in NSW

As mentioned elsewhere Calver apparently has signed and Ryan McGowan is close.

McGowan would be a great addition. Lots of experience but still young enough to have a good few years ahead of him.

???
Risdon–Aspro-Calver-Georgievski
Kone-Chapman
???-Pasquali-Pain
???

McGowan would be great to have as a starter, obviously. Will be interesting to see who they snap up as the two goalkeepers. Jack Duncan is probably due to return from Saudi Arabia soon, although he has been playing regularly for Al-Qadsiah. I was about to mention Ibini for the right-wing spot but he’s already been jettisoned and is currently at Jeonbuk Motors in the K-League.

If you chuck in McGowan and Birighitti/Kurto / Duncan it’s good recruitment.

Article about Calver mentioned they’ve got a dozen players signed but just being sensitive to the announcements.

I hope they go visa spot keeper as well

Remember when Wests played all those games out of Spotless?
Well, imagine the same, except this is for a new entity without even having had the benefit of some success and great atmosphere in the past.
This first couple of years will be pretty rough.

1 Like

Western United’s remaining home matches are likely to be held in and around western Victoria. This could see games held in Ballarat and Wyndham and other suitable venues in the region.

Those are going to be some sparse crowds.

Mount Thomas has been crying out for games.
Pre game drinks at The Imperial and the high crime rate fits the sokkah hooligan narrative nicely.

2 Likes

I guess they could make it work if they work hard in advance, visit the community, make the colours obvious and visible well in advance, and do a similar job in dressing the stadiums to what SFC has done.
If they can pull 5k crowds at smaller regional venues it should come over OK. Biggest worry is continuous crowds of the same size at that godawful AFL cavern.

Calver confirmed as signing.

God they are the most ‘vanilla’ club to ever enter the league. so so boring already when it is meant to be exciting having a new club. Boring name, boring badge, going to be boring atmosphere at a boring AFL stadium… filled with recycled players… yawn

1 Like