Western United Thread

Some interesting tid bits here

Theyre set to go with Western Athletic and wear black and green. Im all for more green in the league.

Theyve apparently also signed Risdon to go with Kone and targeting Brattan and Steven Taylor. Rudan soon to be announced as coach to the article claims

Yeag that’s a decent name though aren’t clubs called Athletic because they used to/still are broader fitness and sports organisations?

Good choice of colours I think.

it could be a much worse name.

I was personally looking forward to the Western Sydney Wanderers vs. Western Melbourne Warriors matches.

1 Like

“Exhaustive polling” :joy:

I’d love it if Brattan ended up there, was talk WS were sounding him out too. Much better if they just keep hoovering up wingers and don’t address the weakest CM / CB pairings in the comp.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s how I’ve always understood it.

I think they’re obliged to expand into NBL and Netball comp.

1 Like

Plus the whole thing will be co-opted by AFL and the stadium will be built as an oval etc.

The best name out of horrendous options. Making some decent signings too.

Horrendous name out of horrendous options.

What should they have been called? They weren’t going to go with anything that currently exists, ie any NPL club or similar.

Western United may have been a better option but Western Athletic isn’t bad. Geelong wouldnt take in the entire area they want to cover would it?

1 Like

You could argue that theres nothing being united and that united is a far better name for the MSWS bid.

1 Like

Western what?

Western Melbourne?

Western Victoria?

Western Australia?

Western New Zealand?

Western Culture?

Western Cultural Appropriation?

As daft as Northern Spirt and Eastern Pride.

Localities please. Not vague points on a compass.

2 Likes

I assumed it was a team full of cowboys running laps around an oval.

3 Likes

So their active fan group would be “athletic support”.

What will they do at the 80 minute mark if their team is in front?

4 Likes

This is valid. If they’re choosing not to have the word “Melbourne” in the name and disassociate themselves from the city, then why do you still need to point out that you’re west of it?

Smacks a bit of “their existence defines us”. :wink:

I think it makes sense. They didnt want to be called Melbourne if theyre playing in Geelong for a few years and didnt want to be called Tarniet/Wyndham if they arent playing there for a few years so maybe go Western for now and have a name change (Western Melbourne Athletic/ Wyndham Athletic) if they ever actually move into their own stadium or just become Geelong Athletic if they dont.

Wyndham Athletic sounds like a proper english lower league club doesn’t it?

2 Likes

Now saying it’s a United which is worse.