Western United Thread

I think it should’ve been Wyndham.

It would’ve been so much easier to in the long-run to build an identity around a young growing region, and indeed they would’ve been able to shape the identity of the region itself, if they actually put their flag down and committed to it. I reckon in the short-term, the novelty of having week-in-week-out football in Geelong would’ve attracted enough people.

“Western” is too generic and vague, attempting to identify with too many disparate groups and possibly succeeding with none.

2 Likes

A Little Bit West of Melbourne CBD Althletic Football Club

3 Likes

Not Melbourne City or Inner Suburbs United Athletic FC

Interested to see how cringey the marketing gets for the “western” derby of Wanderers and this lot

I’m still confused with what the final name is. The first news releases had it as Athletic, but the more recent ones list it as United.

It’s such a vague name.

Every other team is a place name but they western, western what??

Same. The risdon announcement is United but Tuesday seemed to be Athletic…

I’m almost sure it is United:

It’s Western United, so it’s clear that its because it’s west of the United Petroleum service station in Altona.

2 Likes

I agree though, if you just heard the name and applied some basic logic you’d be forgiven for assuming that they were in Western Australia (like Western Force for example).

Its exactly what I thought of the Western Bulldogs for the longest time. But its just typically arrogant tard bullshit, like the country is expected to know what they mean. I just wish that arrogance would die already, but it probably never will.

1 Like

Brenton Speed will then turn the cringe up by a factor of 10.

I can’t wait for Western United to play South West United.

The W-SW derby. You just know its going to happen.

Apparently South West already have a game scheduled. It’s against South Melbourne in March and being played in Austin, Texas. They can’t be accused of a lack of consultation either, they’re putting on a massive event with plenty of forums. It’s even got one of those abbreviated names that all the kids love these days, SXSW 2019.

5 Likes

Haha fucking had me going.

lame, they just went with Western United.

It sounds like a new Perth club.

Athletic made a lot more sense. They’re talking about building the whole precinct and I’m sure they could engage other sports. Even if they didn’t Athletic, although still using European names for our ‘culture’ is new for the league and some point of difference. Western and United are both already used. It also takes away a logical use of United for the MSWS bid.

Would honestly prefer “cringey” names that are our own over just recycling names like Unite because Manchester United.

1 Like

Should just wear red and called themselves Melbourne United.

I’m waiting for the day someone comes up with a club name including the word divided. Berlin Divided perhaps?

too soon?