Where are they now?

Funny how badly the moves went for Jordy, Adrian and Bobo. Sometimes when you’re onto a good thing like they all were, you should savour it and stay put.

2 Likes

They all are in the back end of their careers and got big cash windfalls from it. Sometimes you got to make the tough decisions like that

Nah fuck em. I don’t respect players leaving a club they’ve been successful at just to make some extra money. They’d hardly be struggling for money, all of them had played at a decent level for much for their careers. Players moving clubs just for more money is one of the worst things about football. If they were true professionals they’d be more concerned about being part of a championship winning side, record breaking side rather than making a bit of money.

Take that into account when you next get offered a promotion or higher paying job.

1 Like

Your attempt to compare the job of a professional sportsperson and a normal persons 9-5 job is pretty laughable. Firstly as a professional footballer, you are already on very good money, the players in question would hardly be struggling financially, this is different from a normal persons job as a higher salary can be genuinely life changing for some people, but for professional players its like going from good money --> very good money. Not as meaningful. Secondly I would say it’s safe to assume that for most players it was their dream to become professional, so they are literally living their dreams. That is the reason I strongly look down upon players who make moves for money, if I was a professional in any sport already earning good money, I would want to make career choices that challenge myself and that would actually improve me as a player. Not just make career moves for the money, to me that is pretty unprofessional and just shows laziness. I really think footballers should realise how lucky they have it, I’m sure there are plenty of people who would kill to be in their positions and wouldn’t make shitty career choices because they would actually have a drive to improve as a professional sportsperson.

Look at CR7, he’s someone who clearly has a mentality of professional sportsperson. Takes a pay-cut to move to Juventus to try and further his career, improve as a player and to further his legacy. Rather than just moving to china for the $$$.

A professional footballer has only a limited time and a good 30 years less time to earn enough money to keep paying their bills than a 9-5 worker unless they get lucky and get into coaching (and assuming they get a full footballing career that isnt cut down suddenly by injury). Theyre regular people like anyone else- if you get a better offer thats going to pay off the mortgage quicker and put better food on the table for your family and find a better retirement youre more than likely going to take it. Moving to a better paying club isnt “unprofessional”

Furthermore youre saying its a “dream” so they should just cop where theyre at. If someones “dream” job was to be a lawyer or a plumber should they too reject better offers because their living their dream? Bobo and Buijs both moved to better leagues and Adrian moved to a far better paying one where theyre both towards the ends of their careers and probably wanting to set up their families as best as they can for their post playing futures. Youre also working on the assumption its still a fun game to everyone and hasnt become like any other job.

Your arguments are all based in sentimental values that are great as a football fan but just dont translate to the real world.

4 Likes

I was idealising about how footballers should conduct themselves I’d agree. But I do think moving from one of the greatest A-league and Australian sporting sides of all time just for more money is slightly unprofessional. If they had a bit more ambition it would’ve been nice to see them stay and see how many records we could’ve broken. I was fully aware of the arguments you made about long term financial stability etc. but I guess I’d just like to think/hope that professional sportspeople would be more ambitious and would care more about winning games/trophies and being part of a great team than just money.

Didn’t Ronaldo have a dummy spit at one point as he was claiming he wasn’t being paid enough? The Ronaldo argument isn’t exactly a good one either, considering the fact that he’s played most of his career at literally one of the top 5 teams in the entire world, he’s not going to earn that much more money anywhere else,especially if you throw in sponsorships, prize money, etc.

At the end of the day, players like Bobo and Buyis are out to look after themselves and their families. I’m sure Bobo enjoyed playing here, but it’s hard to argue against a move to Turkey where, if he did well, he’d be exposed to bigger European leagues, at least for a year or two. Buijs was always hard as a had a decent year but was on regular coin, Japan is also a step up for a player in his position. A dare say he’s shown decent ambition by moving up into a stronger league, rather than staying in the a-league or moving to a different Aus team for more cash. He’s done the right thing by his career.

Only prick in the matter was Adrian, especially on the way that he left. In saying that, there seemed to be underlying factors with broken promises suggested. That and not getting a dream world cup call up when demolishing the league would have been pretty heart breaking as well.

1 Like

The list of players who have been “The Next Viduka” is long & undistinguished.

1 Like

So is my Johnson! :airplane: /topgun reprazent

2 Likes

John Iredale will be out for five months, which is a massive bolw for him.

Depending on how far the Socceroos go into the tournament, the fitness guru behind the Socceroos’ 2015 Asian Cup triumph might be conspiring against the team during their upcoming title defence.

Australia’s former Head of Sport Science, Dr Craig Duncan, is understood to have been poached by former Real Madrid coach, Carlos Queiroz, to work with the Iran national team during the 2019 Asian Cup in the UAE. Dr Duncan worked with the Socceroos from 2014 through to the 2018 World Cup in Russia before attracting the interest from Queiroz.

If both Australia and Iran top their groups as expected, they will be on course to meet in the final which would be the first time the two nations have played against each other since the infamous 1997 World Cup qualifier

Didn’t really need to read that last paragraph about when the two teams met last.

Fantastic, now I have a valid reason to fucking hate SWS, Patterson is a colossal dickhead and was one of the main reasons the FFA got their arses handed to them during BanGate a few years ago. Arrogant beyond belief and a serial liar.

At the big meeting between active support groups, I was giving them shit for having lied to us repeatedly about the ban appeal process and Patterson was heard to mutter ‘oh, you c$#t’ when I started talking. Badge of pride.

3 Likes

Its unbelievable that since Australia joined the AFC and we seem to play the same few countries over and over and over and over and over again that we have somehow avoided playing Iran.

Players Voice article by Mat Ryan on Arnie.

2 Likes

Max Burgess just did well off the bench for the Nux, making Krishna’s second goal. Always thought he had more to offer and was one of our youth team who got precious little chance on the big stage.

King Kazu signs another contract - setting up his 34th season as a pro

2 Likes

The Blizzard did a piece on him a little while back

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/strange-longevity-kazu

Buijs has played his last game for his Japanese club:

He seems to have something else lined up somewhere:

Come home Jordy!