2026 World Cup - North America

NY (MetLife stadium) gets the final - announced by this young buck

1 Like

4 Likes

So itā€™s New Yorkness depends on the scale of the event?

World Cup? Itā€™s NYC. Hudson River Derby? Itā€™s Jersey.

Iā€™m hoping Australia, if qualified (which given the degree of expansion, Iā€™d hope so), is in a group based in Mexico or Canada. Maybe I completely avoid the US (I need a Visa because Iā€™m also an Iranian citizen).

On the other hand, I wouldnā€™t mind checking out games jn Seattle, LA, Texas and Jersey/NYC. I have family in Dallas and LA area, and Ontario, so I might be able to save on accommodation.

Given current relations and events between the US and Iran, youā€™ll spend more time at the airport being interrogated by the TSA and FBI to any connections you may have than youā€™ll spend in America itself.

Well, Iā€™d be travelling on an Australian passport, even if I canā€™t get a Visa waiver, and my place of birth is St Leonards. My brother on the other hand, born in Tehranā€¦No, heā€™d be f**ked, as he was in 2002.

To be honest, my worst airport security experience was in Vancouver, not the US.

Born in St Leonardā€™s? Can probably afford to bribe the border force

I have a mate who was born in Tehran and has lived out here forever. Has an aus passport. Not sure heā€™s still an Iranian citizen though. He doesnā€™t seem to have any issues traveling over there.

Unless heā€™s actively revoked his Iranian citizenship, he still has it. When you apply for a US Visa waiver these days it asks whether you are a dual citizen of a certain group of countries and/or have visited them since a certain date, and assuming you are honest, you canā€™t get the Visa waiver and therefore have to get a Visa.

The reverse is also true. My US citizen aunt had to get a Visa for Australia due to her Iranian citizenship (and she visited recently too). Even my mumā€™s non-Iranian friend became ineligible for Visa waiver upon visiting Iran.

Yeah, but then we moved to Normanhurst and lost all our bribing status.

1 Like

2 Likes

And, oh God, it might be Trumpā€™s Murica again. :person_facepalming:t4:

I hear Guantanamo is lovely at this time of year.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always wanted to go to Cuba, dirty pinko that I am.

Yeah I dont know if heā€™s still a citizen. He may be because I remember him talking about not being able to go back to Iran for a while because he would have been forced to do his military service if he did.

Yeah, I donā€™t think they can make a non-citizen serve, so Iā€™d be guessing he hasnā€™t revoked. My brother is exempt based on my dadā€™s age and being his only son, not that heā€™d visit Iran any time soon anyway.

Had a mate who was worried he wouldnā€™t be able to leave the country after his dad passed away in Iran and he went down there for the funeral, but, they also wonā€™t wonā€™t ask a fatherless man to serve.

Although, if out-an-out war breaks out soon, conscription rules may change.

Remember not to walk to/from the final

1 Like

Thatā€™s just America in general.

1 Like

The most continuous walking I could do in Houston was in Walmartā€™s.

1 Like

Do they get to use all of those commercial stadium names if theyā€™re not a sponsor of the WC ? I remember when the Asian Cup was in Straya the ā€œANZā€ was removed from the Olympic Stadium. FIFA are nutcases in this regard.