- 2012-04-05 - FFA announces a new team in Western Sydney
- 2012-10-07 - Western Sydney Wanderers play their first A-League game
- 2016-11-15 - FFA is “finalising a framework” for expansion, with the criteria to be announced in early 2017.
- 2017-02-28 - FFA delay expansion, failing to honour the previous timeline for announcing expansion criteria - instead “begin[ning] the detailed work … to develop a new ownership and operating model for [the league] … [where] expansion of the leagues under a new model will be further developed as part of the process”.
- 2018-02-16 - FFA has a strategy meeting that puts HAL expansion (and an expanded Congress) “at the top of its agenda”
- 2018-03-29 - Invitation for Expansion of Interest [PDF]
- 2018-05-24 - Closing date for submission of EOI Response. FFA receives 15 proposals.
- 2018-06-29 - Ten bidders short-listed in Request for Proposal.
- 2018-08-31 - Deadline for submission of proposals. Eight bids remain after Brisbane City withdraw, and the South-West and Macarthur bids merge.
- 2018-10-02 - FFA Constitution amended to accept recommendations of the Congress Review Working Group. Lowy and present board to step aside and not seek re-election in November as a result.
- 2018-10-17 - The last meeting of the outgoing FFA board decides to postpone the expansion decision, scheduled for October 31. Instead they eliminate Wollongong and Ipswich for some reason, and leave it for the FFA management to “undertake due dilligence” for the remaining six bids, leaving the final decision to be made by an incoming board elected in November.
2018-10-31 - Announcements. New date TBD pending new board.
- 2018-11-19 - FFA Annual General Meeting to elect a new board.
- 20??-?? - First season with two new clubs.
- Macarthur/South-West Sydney
- Team 11 (South-East Melbourne)
- South Melbourne
- Southern Expansion
- West Melbourne