ALM - Round 11 Discussion - 2023/24

Another fantastic game. There’s really been some belters this season. I’m glad I’ve watched most of the games.

After last night’s entertainment I tuned in tonight to wonder who will thrill me tonight… Jets v Bulls. Sigh!

1 Like

Might not be the best crowd but both these teams seem to have trouble defending so could be a good game.

That ball was an absolute peach for Taylor. Great goal.

Yeah that through ball was delightful.

Stanton is doing alright with Newcastle.

Another glorious entry into the ALM away kit policies Hall Of Stupidity.

2 Likes

Oh dear, the Southwestern Sydneysiders have tried actual active support with a call and response.

“Who are we?”
“MFC!”

Just takes me back to the high school athletics carnivals. Expecting them to next break out a rendition of “Everywhere we go”.

1 Like

Is Taylor on a multi-year deal or is he available at the end of the season?

Some referees really, really need to look up the definition of “clear and obvious error”. JFC

In the end I suppose it was the right decision. I still reserve the right to whinge about VAR not communicating what they are checking. It would make it so much easier for everyone.

Yeah, now thats a classic case of VAR intervening where it doesn’t need too.

At least it’s technically correct and not just a subjective decision that is not clear as to why and there was an identical one last week that was interpreted differently.

Did they even get the right frame?

Looked right to me, but that’s assuming the old rule of “defender (Brannerz) didn’t play at it, therefore the offside positioning doesn’t reset” still applies.

Davila looked off when Raphael did play at it.

1 Like

The problem is that with offside, it is supposed to be a binary yes/no situation, so the fact that he was offside means it’s clear and obvious. However, even with this supposedly cut and dried affair of offside, you get complications such as who was interfering with play, did anyone play at the ball, etc, so it ends up having an air of subjective decision making just like for fouls.
Even bringing in the semi automated offside call won’t be fixing this kind of situation unfortunately.

1 Like

Valid point but don’t think this one was that subjective. It’s no different to a through ball being played to someone who’s gone too early, if a CB gets a toe on it trying to cut out the through ball it’s still offside because the attacker has gained an advantage from the offside positioning. The CB’s toe (even though playing at it) doesn’t render a reset like an underhit backpass to the GK would.

1 Like

Well, THAT is a penalty.

So dumb.

Lol.

Entertaining half.

As tempted as I am to laugh at him getting outfoxed by Lachie Rose, I’d say that is a very tired decision from Cancar more than anything. Newcastle deserved to get a clean sheet, but one error ruined it.

1 Like