Andrew Bluemayne Thread

Have you seen the South American shows? His wife would shoot him in a second…

1 Like

It also puts him into the media for a potential overseas move

I wonder what the salary is like in the Peru top flight?

Club has posted about it now

No.

Fill free to post links.

4 Likes

Surely we have to consider a little tour to Peru next pre-season.

1 Like

How about we fold the club, post it to Lima and unfold it over there?

6 Likes

Where’s out links @Paulska you slack bastard?

1 Like

Slightly NSFW

4 Likes

Yeah, but that’s those sinning Brasilians.

We’re talking about wholesome Peru here.

1 Like

How does one get their Brazilian citizenship? Asking for a friend.

Be a nazi in the 1930’s

4 Likes

Let’s make sure Redders wins this.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0PquUg5qsBWWV4asW3PTd9SFCgX2uqYbNCD5ndffDXt35yG4HTVWArqszPsz35aTKl&id=100064557015145&mibextid=qC1gEa

138 people voted for kicky egg ball and over 1000 for papa

3 Likes

Dunno where else to put this, but a local school is silently auctioning a SFC keeper’s jersey, donated by Redders and signed by the whole squad, if anyone is keen to bid:

https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/108003/auctions/142547/auction_items/4573228

4 Likes

Check out those sexy gams!

Couldnt read more than the first paragraph as its paywalled, but does this mean Redmaynes retireing?

https://www.codesports.com.au/football/a-leagues/why-grey-wiggle-socceroo-andrew-redmayne-is-entering-the-family-business-after-aleague-finals/news-story/062e6b7b0fa1f6d26d6ed1a15b381722?fbclid=IwAR0bIvACuu8qxR8r0jvf6697HQMcF9GPTxLP9wGH3sKnhHgMBMZXI1PQRJs_aem_th_AUpLRyDImOkpMMz6CBPxYHrRdcZbe9xoX9qsSDkbUksWMAhG4_o-c685xsFZkcX85feqV-7tgXvs_rRwdZ-ZhIsV

I can only hope.

It’s been nearly a year since Andrew Redmayne danced and pranced and stuck out his big right paw to send the Socceroos to a World Cup.

A heartbeat in time that made the friendly bearded giant an instant celebrity, both in Australia and the nation he vanquished, Peru.

The Wiggles came calling and Poppy Redmayne remains enthused about her father’s new circle of friends.

“She still says ‘Dadda’s a Wiggle’ when she sees them and the grey skivvy hanging up,” Redmayne tells CODE Sports.

“More people know me as the Wiggle than Redmayne, I guess.”

Not in Peru, where he‘s known as ‘Papi’; as in their father, for Redmayne owned the Peruvians in that penalty shootout.

To this day, the goalkeeper’s Instagram messages are full of ‘advice’ from Peru.

Most of it, oddly, has turned friendly.

Playing along, Redmayne put a message out on Twitter five months ago in Spanish (written by a friend), asking those in Peru what company he should collaborate with.

A mi familia Peruana,

Vamos a divertirnos…Escribe una compañía que crees que debería tener Papi como parte de su campaña publicitaria y etiquetarla!
Yo enviaré un par de guantes firmados a la repuesta más creativa !!

— REDDERS (@redders_20) December 15, 2022

And 620,000 views later, all sorts of suggestions are on the thread. The most inventive was a condom manufacturer: ‘Redmayne. He’ll make a stop when needed.’

But the idea of Peruvian collaboration gained legs and with the help of his Sydney-based agent, Redmayne is in discussions with marketing agencies in Lima, who have come forward with offers. It’s all quite weird, because Redmayne is as quiet, down to earth and humble as you’ll find.

Which is why, closer to home, there’s another project on the go, catapulted by his celebrity but close to his heart.

Redmayne comes from a family of teachers.

“Mum was a primary school teacher, dad a high school teacher. Aunties, uncles, cousins all teachers, from uni lecturers to primary school to Steiner schools,” Redmayne explains.

“To quote the movie Step Brothers, it’s the family business.”

Redmayne is just about to finish his teaching degree but he won’t be spending the forthcoming A-League off-season introducing algebra or deciphering Charles Dickens with students.

Instead, he has developed a presentation for primary and high school kids based on resilience. Visiting them for special ‘incursions’, Redmayne will sit and spill his soul over the course of an hour.

“It’s about motivation, goal setting, resilience,” Redmayne says.

“That fits in with the way my life was going before it flipped on its head but incorporating the two time frames, pre and post.”

It’s some story.

Of the 15-year-old kid from the Central Coast who trialled at Arsenal, just missing out when the Gunners preferred future Premier League star Wojciech Szczesny.

Of the lanky youngster who couldn’t break into the Mariners squad. Or Brisbane’s.

Of the maturing keeper who couldn‘t hold down a spot at Melbourne Heart, or Western Sydney. Of how he nearly quit and became a barista to supplement his teaching studies.

“When I was at a crossroads, I thought it was a good profession to go through. I enjoy passing on knowledge and it still seems pretty fitting.”

Football, of course, is still the centre of Redmayne’s universe. He’s 34 but as a goalkeeper, that means plenty of time left.

“I dunno,” he mutters, searching for a way to sum up this season with Sydney FC without any hint of ego.

“Been somewhat consistent. Decent season. Just go about my own business, I guess.”

Redmayne is one of the few remnants of Sydney’s ultra-successful 2016-19 period and those spirits rose again last weekend with an upset elimination final dismissal of Western Sydney, one of the clubs who deemed Redmayne not good enough.

Redmayne holds no grudge toward Wanderers but loved being the last one with the ball on Saturday night to end a 2-1 victory.

“You certainly cop a bit of flak being close to their fans,” Redmayne says.

“During the game copped a few vapes, gold coins. And some Mint Slice. That was weird. About three Mint Slices!

“If it wasn’t for the game, I would be eating them, that’s for sure.”

As for Sydney’s fans, who boycotted last weekend’s game due to the grand final sell-off to the NSW government, Redmayne has no issue with their stance; nor this week’s backflip, which will see the Sky Blues’ active support – The Cove – return to Allianz Stadium on Friday for the semi-final clash with Melbourne City after reaching a truce with A League bosses.

“We support the fans,” Redmayne says.

“Football without fans is nothing, so we have them in the back of our minds. But we’ve got a job to do. If we didn’t crack on with our job, it would be even more saddening for them.

“They have their say and voice, as a team we don’t focus on it too much, just worry about doing our job.”

Redmayne is looking forward to having Sydney FC’s active support back for their tilt at another title. Picture: Will Russell/Getty Images

The Cove did have interaction with Sydney players before last week’s game, with a handful sending off the team bus from the training ground.

Flares and fireworks were set off. It was quite the scene.

“I had to wash my car yesterday, ash and all that on it!” Redmayne says.

The car, by the way, is a Cupra, the upmarket Spanish car maker, for whom he’s an ambassador.

If he doesn’t save Alex Valera’s penalty, he’s still in a second-hand runabout.

The car has changed, his Insta DMs are plentiful and the reason for visiting classrooms has changed, but Andrew Redmayne hasn’t.

“Even now, reflecting, I don’t see it as anything that special,” says Redmayne as the interview wraps up and another training session looms

“Yes, it’s changed my life, but I was given a job to do and did it. Just see myself as a team player.

“I’m really happy where I am now in a football sense, and a life sense.”

7 Likes