Australian Football Abroad Thread

Disappointing, given that Mooy probably still has a good 1 or 2 years in a top league left in him. He’s pretty much kissing any future European or UK moves goodbye. That said, he probably isn’t going to get the kind of money elsewhere (even in the EPL) that China is offering him now, especially during the pandemic, when most clubs are doing everything to tighten their money belts. Given he’s turning 30 in a couple of weeks, I guess he also thinks he’s not going to get any higher in the game than where he is now.

The Socceroos don’t have many playmakers that are good enough, so we’ll likely have to persist with Mooy regardless, except for the much easier matches (eg. current WC qualifying stage for us) where we could see an Arzani, McGree or Burgess given a chance.

I’d probably take the offer also then. Fair play to the lad

Take a comfortable club before country stance and these things will cease to trouble.

1 Like

Seriously, he’s looking at about $4m per season. He’s 30 years old, if he hasn’t managed to move to a bigger EPL team, he’s not going to be able to do it now that he’s in his final 4ish years of his career. I can’t really begrudge him for taking the big money deal. I just hope he actually gets paid.

To put it in perspective, Mooy will be playing in the same team as Oscar and Marko Arnautovic. Uzbek star Odil Ahmedov also plays for them, but given Mooy has just arrived, is probably more likely to be heading out the exit door with Hulk.

Long story short, I’m hopeful Mooy won’t have payment issues as some others have over there.

The bloke dutifully sat on the bench for two years under Popa’s rotation system and ended up in the EPL, I think he’s earned enough professionalism credits to be entitled to whatever move he wants to make.

2 Likes

Brandon Borrello has joined Fortuna Düsseldorf on a one year loan deal

1 Like

Chelsea have signed Pernille Harder. Probably not great for Kerr as they’ve already got lots of options up front

If Kerr goes elsewhere suits me. I find it uncomfortable wanting anyone in their kit to score.
Though, I assume they’ll want to play them together. I watched some of their game on the weekend and her shooting was a shocker, but she was making the runs and getting the positions, which is a large part of the effort, so it will all come together.

Mooy joined Shanghai SIPG - one of China’s biggest clubs - in a shock move last week that will see him earn approximately $6 million per year.

I’d do all sorts of things for $6mill a year.

Eintracht Frankfurt and Koln interested in Hrustic:

Blackwood to join Kewell at Oldham in league two.

Lyndon Dykes scored for Scotland this morning in a Nations League win against Czech.

Juho Mäkelä is currently playing for AC Oulu in Finland. His hometown club. He started in local junior teams in the city. Not only is he still playing in the 2nd div in Finland at 37 but after reading some of the finnish sites, he has also joined their backroom staff , (my translation- Head of business). Them saying holds a masters from a university in Madrid in the field.

1 Like

I just looked him up again - it was the 11/12 season that he played here!

Good to see he’s still enjoying his football life. Always felt like he was under utilised for us.

2 Likes

He was under utilised because we had no need for him as we already had Bruno Cazerine.

I seem to recall it being a someone in the office playing Football Manager signing.

Yeah that is how I remember it as well.

The breaker of fences…

1 Like

I think I’ve forgotten his song…something like…

My name is Juho Makela, I’m so glad to meet ya, I come from the land in the north, FINLAND!
And when I walk down the street, every person I meet says HEY Juho what’s your name?

1 Like

Ajdin Hrustic is apparently finalizing terms with a move to Frankfurt

My memory is that Bruno and Juho were both often bench players as Vitje persisted with playing an incredibly lazy, bored Bridge as starter. Juho started behind Bruno off the bench too as Vitje clearly did not want him. Paying to watch Bridge walk around with his hands in his pockets (figuratively speaking) almost broke me as a SFC fan. Almost destroyed my respect for Vitje as a coach too. That, and signing Jamie Coyne.