Australian National Team Thread - #ArnieOut!

Cahill’s announced his retirement from all football. Thanks for the memories Timmy

2 Likes

Arnies Olyroos stint may be close to ending

I like the have a break in January plan.

2 Likes

Does anyone think we’ll ever move to a Feb/March to November/December A-League season so we’re more in line with the rest of Asia? Would also fit in better with the rest of the football competitions in Australia.

I get that the competition for grounds with league and union could cause some issues, but in terms of crowds, TV, Sponsors etc, would it make much difference?

No chance. It’s not possible. Ground availability alone would kill it (and quality of so many grounds would suffer), media time would be drowned out, sponsors less interested, Fox would probably not offer to broadcast.

Also, I don’t like being out on a cold evening

3 Likes

A 12-14 team comp with a 2 week break in January, Apertura/Clausura format with the 2 winners playing a “super final” or the top 4 overall playing the finals series could reduce the number of dead fixtures.

I don’t like the idea of the break in January. I feel for the players, but the school holidays are a brilliant time for kids to go to games, and attendances are generally good then. It also means that they can have midweek games to satisfy broadcasters, yet still get a good turnout through the gate.

3 Likes

Midweek games are an evil, evil thing.

Yep. It would absolutely require every club to own the stadium they play at to make it plausible. Otherwise I think it would be quite good. Our media time gets drowned out no matter what part of the year we play in.

I might be optimistic to say the least, but major sponsors in the NRL must surely be getting sick of the constant off-field dramas which are killing the NRL brand. I would be most interested to see what their viewing figures are this season, after an absolute disaster of an off-season off the field. I just feel like the tide is turning in that sport, where finally the consequences of not doing enough to prevent off-the-field incidents is really going to hit them. Eventually, they might be looking for something else with a relatively clean image. There is a risk the AFL could really clean up, but other sports may well benefit, too.

I don’t agree Fox wouldn’t offer to broadcast. Anyone who has Foxtel can attest to some of the random shit that they broadcast from time to time, and that’s even taking out ESPN and beIN sports channels out of the equation! Fox Sports still broadcast the fucking E-League, and I bet almost nobody watches that! What might happen, though, is that we couldn’t expect to get too many gains from the TV deal. And I really don’t think Fox will stump up much more than $60m a year as it is.

A lot of the crap that Fox broadcasts is part of package deals, for instance they get Bundesliga but the broadcaster they buy it from, may also own rights to some shitty sport and includes it as part of the contract, cuts their production costs etc.

In terms of NRL, there’s been rapes, alcohol, sexual harassment, drink driving, assault on females etc for the past decade and there hasn’t been a drop… They’ll never change and they’ll never learn…

Don’t mind it. Save for Rhys Williams really. Him and Duncan got fucking relegated

So all these people complaining about Redmayne getting picked, do they actually watch and understand football or do they just think Sydney = bad?

That SMH article says Borrello is at Freiburg…that almost makes him one of ours now yeah?

Also Brad Smith but no Gersbach…is Gersbach being given the rest like the others or just not getting game time to warrant selection? He’d still be ahead of Smith wouldn’t he?

1 Like

Smith should be bolted on starter, has been quality for Seattle. Behich hasn’t looked like getting off the bench post AC and Gersbach played a handful of games for an easily relegated team

Good for Smith then! He needed to turn his situation around and sounds like he has. Be good if Gersbach could as well now.

1 Like

Ikon needs shoulder surgery so he’s been replaced by Duke in the squad

I was surprised he got called up to start with. Heard his mum bitching & moaning about it on the flight back from Perth, apparently it’s really going to mess up their pre-paid family holiday.

Perth and Arnie were already well aware he needed the surgery before the ‘roos squad was announced.

Working hard again…team for the upcoming friendly imo

Goodwin Taggart Mabil
Amini
Jeggo O’Neill
Smith Jurman Wright Grant
Langerak

Cap souttar and borello off the bench.