Breakaway European Super League

Quick thought…

It is, as I understand it, standard practice across the world for player contracts to be standard forms used league-wide, which presumably includes among other things a commitment by the parties to conform to various league rules.

Is it possible that, should the clubs form this breakaway comp in violation of such rules, that existing player contracts would not be enforceable?

That players who had been acquired for significant transfer fees, who possibly accepted lower salaries in exchange for significant up-front sign-ons or have increased significantly in market-value since their current contracts were signed, would be eligible to walk out for free?

That could in itself be financially destructive to many of the prospective clubs.

Hard work making UEFA and FIFA look like good guys, but these idiots have gone and achieved it. Fuck 'em, hope they launch this super league, it sounds like the most boring shit ever.

Anyone who follows this sort of footy and ignores that the best league in the world is right here anyway, is off their head.

5 Likes

Really glad that Liverpool broke that long league title drought before I have to cut the ties should this farce go ahead.
It will be interesting (read fun) to see how some of these clubs handle coming 8th-10th in the bloated groups, and it will also be interesting to see how shit some of increasing number of group stage dead rubbers will rate, particularly outside their home markets.

As long as the Asian markets keep buying the tv rights they won’t care about fans.

1 Like

Mourinho just sacked by Spurs. I wonder if it’s related?

Keen to see what players want a part of this if indeed the clubs involved do get band from national league and continental cup competition as well as the players banned from confederation and world competition.

If the only thing you have a chance of winning is this super league comp, will that be enough?

And the last proper Champions League. :wink:

Euro footy is dead and the A-League has passed it all by.

3 Likes

I’ve read comments (from blogs not from reliable sources) that he wouldn’t coach the team team this morning due to the ESL. Have no idea if it’s true, but well done to him if it is.

1 Like

Wow good for him if true. Respect

1 Like

Sounds like the perfect get out of jail free card for Mourinho and will likely spin it as such.

1 Like

Its a bad, bad proposal but no surprise the American owned EPL clubs are pushing it so hard - its basically the NFL. The direct/indirect consequences are going to be interesting. Can’t see banks lending for Everton’s new stadium for example.

1 Like

Dortmund, Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig all saying nah (unless the first two holding out to try get a permanent spot too)

1 Like

Here’s my alternative take on the Super League - and please don’t shoot me.

I stopped caring about the EPL about the same time I was getting gradually more into the A-League, around 2008. I know some here follow Sydney FC and their European club with equal passion, but for me it was one or the other, and these days I’d swap a CL title for my former Euro team for one league win for Sydney FC over Victory/WSW.

I still casually follow the EPL and CL results but mainly through 3 minute highlight reels but even that is for the more interesting match-ups only.

So while this Super League is a complete vomit-inducing abomination in the eyes of purist football fans everywhere, I actually don’t mind the idea. It will be contrived and superficial, but so is my remaining interest in European football.

European football is screwed anyway, with only the big teams with money in with a shot at the title (with Leicester the only recent notable exception), and all the best players from mediocre teams signing for already talent loaded big clubs. Bundesliga seems to be the worst example of it, I mean what do you expect when Bayern keeps signing the best players from Dortmund? And don’t get me started on the French league.

I much prefer the A-League where Central Coast can suddenly be league leaders for 2/3 of the season, and Victory can go from a semi-final appearance to rock bottom in 1.5 seasons.

I hope they take the mickey out and stage competitive Super League games around the world, kind of like a competitive version of the International Champions Cup. Competitive El Clasico at the ANZ? Fuck yeah.

Nah theres lots of valid points there tbh.

Also something that hasnt been discussed is that, for most of these clubs, they’re as big as they are fan wise because of bandwagons and the fact that they were winning continually either now or very recently. Those same bandwagon “diehard” fans of clubs such as Manchester United aren’t going to be diehard fans when they’ve finished 14th, 16th and 11th in the Super League in consecutive seasons.

1 Like

The success of the competition hinges on whether the big players decide to join or not.
Yes these clubs have millions of fans each but those rusted on fans are generally the “older generations” and that’s where the voices opposed to the proposal lie.
More and more the “younger generations” support players rather than clubs. If their favourite players aren’t playing in the new league they won’t be following it.

With the Bundesliga clubs’ ownership structure they were never going to join something so blatantly anti-fan. Leipzig was the only possible exception to that

The clubs certainly have a healthy degree of arrogance thinking that they will be able to play this midweek super league and at the same time continue playing in their domestic leagues as if nothing is going on.

1 Like

The ridiculous thing is that they are counting Champions league wins as titles so Madrid will have 13 ESL titles when the thing launches.

:rofl:

Then they should be letting Forest and Villa in before either Norf London club.

2 Likes

I feel very similar to @WhatWouldTerryDo regarding HAL vs UCL/EPL. Its like watching generic Hollywood movies. I still really enjoy it but if Barca lose/generic actor dies I’m not going to cry, but if Tilio earns a late pen against us I hate life.

3 Likes