Calem Nieuwenhof Appreciation Thread

The man already needs his own thread. What a superb goal

6 Likes

Calem Nieuwen-ooft.

3 Likes

What a way to announce your league debut - with a casual worldie.

And says “shit” in an interview with Tara Rushton. Is there anything this kid can’t do?

4 Likes

This thread must be destroyed with fire lest we summon the mozz , shame on you. And I don’t want to hear any chant suggestions either !

1 Like

Ole Ole Ole Ole
Ole Ole Ole Ole
Nieuwen- HOF HOF HOF
Nieuwen- HOF HOF HOF

2 Likes

The Hof is the real deal.

I mean, getting the Berlin Wall down was good and all but that goal was chefs kiss

2 Likes

Nice little write up on the lad and some kind words from Corica.

1 Like

Alluded to by Corica in the article but I like the fact that he is getting better every game. Too often you see the youngsters start with something and then fizzle out. He’s gone from playing simple sideways passes in his first game to driving into the box with fancy dribbles and 30 yard boomers. Growing with confidence and skill. That’s exciting to watch.

1 Like

I noticed he is addressed as ‘Newy’ by Corica.

Apparently his teammates call him sleepy.

Our boy is famous :+1:

I hope he never loses his instincts. If there’s an opportunity to go forward with the ball, he’s happy to dribble. If he gets a sight on goal and they’re standing off him, he’ll shoot. He’ll be a really useful player tactically for us, especially if the majority of teams just sit deep for most of the game.

I guess the challenge for him now is to keep going week after week, with teams altering their tactics to nullify him. He’s probably had a bit of a free run until now, with less information available to the opposition at this point. Nonetheless, he’s been hugely impressive and I’d keep him in the team over Retre.

There was that one moment in the first half on the weekend where he dribbled past the whole team into the box. More of that.

1 Like

We’ve got a gem in this lad. And he’s going to be learning off arguably the best CM in the league as well, sky’s the limit for him.

Great performance, a due reward for his incredible poise in his debut in the ACL where he clocked some big numbers. The run @dots218 mentioned, where he drops a shoulder past the first defender and then ball roll past another - fantastic.

As one who does not watch much of the youth, what’s the story? Always recall names like Tilio, Zuvela, Teague being the ones over the last few years which people seemed to think we must blood and keep them on but not too much chatter on Calem.

1 Like

I think we’ll need to wait a season to confirm just how good Calem is. We need to see how he copes when opposition have seen him for long enough to make plans to limit his influence. Hopefully he will continue to develop his skills in order to outgrow the ability of A-League opposition to limit him.

What he definitely gives us is the steel in the middle that we’ve lacked since O’Neill left us. This is no criticism of Retre or Brattan, or even Caceres, who can all do some defensive work, but it isn’t their game. Nieuwenhof seems capable technically, but excels at winning the ball. You could see yesterday how much we missed the balance he brings to the middle. With any luck, he’s back for the next game.

1 Like

Controversially, the 'Hoff puts Pineapple on his pizza.

Bloody millennials. Is nothing sacred anymore?

https://fb.watch/8DWKvOiHHT/

Let he who is without pizza sin cast the first stone.