Cheerleaders 2018

I always thought Sullivans Cove was too expensive for what it is. In saying that, good to see Australia has really picked up its whisky game to compete with the Japanese market.

1 Like

Sullivans is definitely not worth the price and I really like it but it’s ridiculously priced.

Winning those awards would’ve boosted the price.

The Japanese whiskys have gone the same way in my opinion.

They are still well made but not worth the expense when you look at what Scotch you can get in the same price range.

I’d just even compare it to the local products. Just bought a bottle of Starward Two Fold and it’s phenomenal for the price. In saying that, have a bottle of Hibiki 17 and it’s easily in my top 3. My brother bought it for me a while ago for my 30th when it wasn’t ridiculous. Now i’ve seen it going for 1K at times.

Starward is pumping out great stuff and yep the awards are what drove Sullivans Cove price through the roof.

I’m enjoying watching everyone dump money into Japanese whisky thinking it’s going to be an awesome investment. It’s not the quality of it driving the price up, it’s just the rarity due to that tv show.

In 5 years when all their current maturing stock hits the market that price is going to tank and slam through the floor. Anyone who continues to buy at the current prices thinking it will go up is an insane person.

1 Like

Speaking of starward, I’m having their pre-mixed old fashioned right now, it’s fantastic for home drinking

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_805062/starward-old-fashioned-500ml

If you want a Tasmanian Whisky that’s as good as Sullivans Cove but not as expensive, try Lark. Still overpriced but not as bad as SC. Bill Lark was the master distiller at SC when they won their first award.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_401428/lark-classic-cask-whisky-500ml

love that old fashioned mix. Tastes freaking amazing! My mate ordered a bottle of the manhattan, they sent him the old fashioned instead by accident. When he called to let them know, they were more than happy for him to keep the first and they sent him a second as an apology

Speaking of Aussie whiskey I went for a drive with the missus a few weeks ago up the Atherton Tablelands to Mt. Uncle distillery. Bought a bottle of their whiskey, bit expensive but I needed a good bottle for celebratory occasions. Excellent drop.

They do gin which (so I’m told) is great and their rum was pretty good too

I’ll remind myself of these suggestions when the gout has left me.

In terms of Old Fashioned, what’s everyone’s choice of whiskey? I’ve found Naked Grouse goes very well with it, plus doesn’t feel like i’m wasting an expensive drink either.

I’m indifferent on Lark whisky, but massive fan of their gin (Forty Spotted).

It’s always an interesting day listening to my bosses complain about fascist control freak vegan protesters, how right wing parties winning in Europe is just bringing politics back to the centre, whinging about the ABC.

They almost are parroting the sky news lines perfectly.
For people who think they are smart they sound like idiots.

1 Like

Hang on.

Don’t your bosses have commissions in our defence force?

Some of them.
You think being commissioned is a sign of intelligence?

I take it you keep your own opinion to yourself?

I didn’t say anything about intelligence.

I was merely going to point out that right wing military officers has never caused problems in the past has it?

It’s more the older generation, or young guys who went straight from school to ADFA.

Everyone else is petty chill.

We are on to nuclear power now.

Climate change, hah.
Renewable power, hah.

Nuclear power, all the idiots think Chernobyl.
Nuclear reactor is incredibly safe, they can’t meltdown, they can’t explode.