General A-Leagues Men Discussion Thread

I don’t know why but I had a feeling we were just about over the line. It’s much closer than I remember

That’s because Melbourne City has played THREE games more than us. If they win all of their remaining games we only need 6 points from 7 games to be clear of them on points. Even if Wellington picks up 21/21 possible points we only need 12/21.

Beat Wellington and we would be more likely than not to finish premiers even if we lost all 6 after that.

2 Likes

Man, now that all of that broadcast stuff is out of the way, I can’t wait for the season to resume. It feels like soooooo long since the last game.

2 Likes

Thanks for summarising that, I had completely forgotten that Nux were actually our biggest competition for the title. Makes that first game back all the more interesting.

Also christ seeing that table has made me look forward to watching more turgid Melbourne football.

Must be horrible for a Victory fan to see that one and two in the table are your biggest rivals.

Would be really great to have Sydney on top, the team coached by an ex-Sydney player and assistant coach in second, Wests out of the finals, and Victory dead last. We are all Central Coast Mariners for the remainder of the season.

2 Likes

Nice stuff, but a couple of things that someone else pointed out to me:

• We should be on 48 points
  • That would give us maximum 69 :sunglasses:, except there are only 26 games each this season (so I think all of your “Games Yet to Play” are out by 1, putting the Max Points out by 3)
  • This is far too complicated to bother with, but you can’t calculate best and worst possible ranks by comparing current and maximum points across teams, because if two teams are due to play each other, they can’t both achieve their maximum points totals. So even though 3 other teams could each end up with at least 49 points, they can’t all end up with that many. Similar logic goes for best ranks, because someone has to take at least one point when the teams above you play one another. Luckily I think you can find this out from the FiveThirtyEight predictions, by hovering over the “Every Position” bars and seeing where it gives no possibility. e.g. according to them, Sydney can only finish 1st or 2nd, Mariners can only finish bottom 3.
4 Likes

Fozzy baby moving on from SBS. With all the charity and activism I feel like he could be making a run for politics?

This is what happens when you try to quickly whip up a spreadsheet on the weekend on your home computer instead of taking the time and effort to do it properly at work on a work computer.

I’ll fix the post on the weekend.

2 Likes

why would you do something for fun at home when you have a perfectly good work computer???

I must point at that I have noticed that most posts here seem to happen during business hours.

So are we overweight students or slacking off employees?

I’m an overweight slacking off employee. I got it all baby!

They need to get rid of Syd and Sydnee and get you on the field to entertain the kids!

Fun fact - at some point the mascots’ names were quietly changed to Skye and Blue

E.g. https://twitter.com/SydneyFC/status/604853178484391936?s=19

1 Like

What? Boooooooooo

1 Like

I didn’t think it sounded right, but couldn’t find the new names… My point still stands! Skye and Blue out, testament in!

I’m not totally convinced. Have you seen how much distance they cover every match day? Looks like it requires a bit of effort

I remember having to take penalties at half time against them, and slipping and falling on my arse.

Every time they walk past me it’s a reminder of that failure.

5 Likes

Have you considered redefining the role?

Have a seat in front of the cove or in the tunnel with Sue and the kids have to come to you!