He's been doing it all day ref

Women’s football = violence

I’m not a ref, but if I ever said that to one, I’d be relieved to have only gotten a yellow…

Agree 100%. Swearing as exclamation is one thing, swearing at is another. That’s use of offensive language to a referee. Take a seat, champ.

The issue I have with a sin bin is it is another thing that the referee needs to keep an eye on. Taking the example from ESFA, the referee will need to have to remember 8 separate times that he needs to allow a player to renter the field. Yes you can write it all down in your book but to enforce it requires you to continually look at your watch and book rather than at the match. If, as is often the case, you are covering a match by yourself, you’re going to miss more match incidents and thus increase the level of dissent.

The simple answer is too increase the suspension for someone sent off for abusive language (R6), that is a direct red card but not 2 yellows. Using the example from the girls game, that girl should have been sent off and the suspension that follows should go along the lines of:
1st offence: 9 games (generally 1/2 a season)
2nd offence: 18 games (1 season)
3rd offence: 5 years
4th offence: Life

There should also be a caveat that the suspension can be reduced if the player/team official completes a referees course and covers games. Use a ratio of referee 5 games = 1 game off the suspension.
Not only would this increase referee numbers but it will also see more players have a greater understanding of how the LOTG are implemented rather than written.
This may require a re-writing of by-laws though as I know here in FFNC, if a referee receives a red card they are suspended from all football activity including refereeing.

What is for certain is that if you have 8 players sitting on the sideline for dissent the sin-bin isn’t working.

2 Likes

Don’t get dissent and abuse confused, one is a caution and the other a send off.

So we’ve had a great weekend, that’s ended with our appointment officer considering boycotting the men’s premier 1st grade.

Sorry, poor/incorrect wording on my part. I’ll edit my post.

Boycott appointing Match Officials to 1st Grade games or he’s boycotting refereeing them?

Boycotting appointing anyone.
Let the club’s referee themselves.

There is more to the story, Facebook posts etc.
Really shitty childish stuff coming from players and coaches.

One of the dumb things is that the refereeing here is at a higher level than the players.
The football quality has gone down quite a bit since I was last here but referees from here are progressing to NPL level regularly.

Question for the refs - played against Craig Foster this afternoon who elbowed one of our players in the throat and then called our player a fucking cunt half a dozen times in earshot of the ref. No card issued at all. If his name wasn’t Craig Foster would he have been treated differently? Do you blokes ref differently based on the status of the player? He certainly went down in my estimation quite a bit carrying on like that in an O35’s Sunday league!

lol I thought Foster was holier than thou

To use his phrase, what a cunt!

1 Like

That’s dissapointing.

I don’t care who a player is. I imagine it could be intimidating refereeing someone like him.
Pulling out a red card is a big deal, I could see someone being scared to send him off.

Interestingly enough my first esfa premier league AR I ever did he was playing in and he was super cool.
I think I got an offisde wrong and he just chatted about how I might have missed that it came off a defender not an attacker but he could tell I was new and trying my best.

1 Like

This is definitely the case here and put a lot of it down to Newcastle abolishing the old talent pathway.
Back when I was going through the system you played for your club on a Saturday and were coached by a players father.
The next step was selection trials to play for the local association representative team. If successful you received further coaching for at least one night a week. The coach was still generally by a players father but they were a lot better and overseen by a TD. There were also games against other associations every month on a Sunday and held in a “Gala Day/Carnival” style so you would play 3 or 4 games. You would then attend the State Titles held over the June long weekend.
The State side would be selected at the completion of the State Titles and, if selected you then received additional training from your local associations TD as well as at a couple of team camps. You then went to the National Talent Identification Titles where you played against the other State Federations. From there the junior national teams were selected.
I didn’t make it past that point so don’t know what was involved but the guys that did make it made the final at the U17 World Cup in New Zealand in 1997.

It was a clear pathway where the players who received the additional training would still go back and play for their clubs on a Saturday. This would increase the level of the players that they were playing with thus increasing the standard of general play. It was the setup that produced many national team players from U17 up.

The system now is any players with talent (and money) go to the Northern Rivers Football Academy (previously the Liverpool International Academy) where they play in the Gold Coast league as Murwillumbah FC. The majority of good local coaches are involved in the academy as well as they get paid to do their job.
This has seen the local junior leagues drop significantly in quality which means that the younger guys stepping up to Prems are at a lower playing standard to the older guys that they’re replacing. The Academy finishes at 16 but by that stage the good players are staying moving to clubs in the QNPL. The players that don’t make it though do not have any attachment to a local club and some are lost to the game altogether.

The result is a much lower standard than what came before and I’m definitely not alone in my thinking. There’s a lot of us “older guys” around here that have a similar train of thought and it’s not a case of “everything was better in my day”.

1 Like

When I was playing for Loko we came up against Waverly Old Boys with Craig Foster playing for them. They were all over us for a fair portion of the first half and were awarded a penalty.
I saved it (unfortunately he didn’t take it), we immediately countered and scored.
I think we may have won 3-0 in the end with Foster walking off mid second half muttering something about having to go to work at SBS.
Played against his brother, Paul, as well. Guy made a decent career for himself in SE Asia and is quite a nice guy.

Doesn’t matter who the player is, you don’t apply the LOTG to them differently than you would any other player.
This does not meant that you cannot manage a player differently throughout the game. The more you referee the more familiar (or get to know) the players.
You know your dirty players, the guys that try and con you, the guys that want a FK every time instead of playing advantage.
You also know the guys you can talk to throughout the game, the guys you can have a bit of back and forth with and the guys you don’t talk to at all (the guys that generally lip on). For example, sometimes you can handle a guy who falls into category 3 with the help of a category 1 guy. Rather than escalating the situation by talking directly to “Mr Cat. 3”, you say something to “Mr Cat. 1” with “Mr Cat. 3” in close proximity. It could be something simple like issuing a yellow card to “Mr Cat. 3” but explaining your decision to or advising “Mr Cat. 1” to calm him down.

If a player elbows another player then calls another player a cunt though, well that goes out the window and I deal directly with “Mr Cat. 3” directly by issuing a Red Card and writing a quite scathing Send-Off report.

2 Likes

Do you really want people with poor and impulsive decision making skills to become referees?

No, I’d prefer to referee players with a better understanding of the LOTG.
That’s not happening soon though.

Players are already experts on the lotg.

I hear every game how wrong I am.

2 Likes

I fouled a bloke on the weekend - he was trying to turn me and so I grabbed his arm and impeded him, probably a yellow in itself.

He got the shits, forgot about the ball, put an arm around my shoulders and swept my legs out and put me on my back (hard enough that I’ve still got a stiff neck).

Referee spent some time patting pockets to work out which card he was gonna show and showed him a yellow and awarded us the free kick.

Correct decision? I’m not wildly beefed one way or another, but at the time I was a bit perplexed.

My gut feel was free kick to them and he’s marched, but I don’t know whether an experienced ref would see that as violent conduct or just being a bit of a dickhead.

Its hard to comment without seeing it on whether a decision is correct or not, but based on the brief description it sounds like a free kick to them, depending on the circumstances maybe a yellow to you. And the severity of what he did will determine the colour of his card, swinging you onto the ground, probably a yellow, throwing you down violently would be a red.

You are supposed to give the first incident as the free kick, regardless of the following things that happen.

1 Like

Fair enough. A yellow to me would’ve been fine - I was certainly impeding him in a way that broke up play. Ref might have missed it though (I was holding his arm with my back to the ref).

Was more a swing than a throw, so yellow to him probably fair enough - I got off light then!

Yeah that’s always tough with the angles that you have on play, nothing can be done if you can’t see something as a ref.

I had one on the weekend that the losing team blew up about as well, from a corner they were all 100% sure that there was a handball but it hit the guy right in the middle of his chest and I had a perfect view of it. Even after the game they were telling me I was wrong, didn’t care that I told them I had seen it perfectly.
People just see what they want and blaming the ref is easier than admitting you just weren’t good enough to win.

1 Like

It’s easy when it’s ALWAYS your fault…

1 Like