Independent A-League

Im really yet to be convinced this “independent” run league by the owners is going to be run much better

It can’t be worse than what’s already happening… Has there been any advertising outside of FB being done by the FFA for the Finals? Considering they promised a massive advertising push for the campaign. I’ve got mates who have no clue when the finals are, and these are people that would consider going.

The current FFA has done shit all for the past 2-4 years in trying to expand the league in terms of bums on seats and exposure. So far the biggest exposure has come from clubs signing huge names (ADP, Honda, Fowler and dare I say it, Bolt) which causes a minor stir, maybe convinces some huge fans of these players to come to games, and that’s it. There needs to be an organised marketing campaign and a degree of independence for the clubs to do what they think is the right thing.

The current FFA is so focused on in fighting and screwing up our global brand. They’ve proven time and time again that they can’t handle the extra pressure of running a league, as well as dealing with FIFA, international football and grassroots development. Things started to slide during the World Cup bidding process, and that’s the issue with the current FFA. They go for a single huge idea (be it ADP, Asian Cup, World Cup, etc) and assume it will fix everything with little need to continue to capitalize after. Surely the Asian Cup was a perfect opportunity for them to get engagement from people going to games and getting them to come to the a-league, it’s not that big a step.

The biggest issue is that if a big idea doesn’t work, there’s no plan B, there’s no concept or understanding that their ideas might fail, and they mill around doing fuck all for another few months, hoping that something else will come around to save their arses and do their job for them.

/end rant

2 Likes

The lack of anything after the Asian Cup was a massive lost opportunity. Just fucking unbelievable.

Not sure where this is best placed-

“The lack of anything after the Asian Cup was a massive lost opportunity. Just fucking unbelievable.”

Yeah, there was such a massive high around at that time, both around the Tournament itself as well as the Socceroo’s and their victory. It was an amazing period for football. Such a shame that it has sort of disappeared from collective memory, or so it seems.

It’s a joke. I’m not a cricket fan, but only $16m to cricket seems ridiculous as well. The government should be investing mostly in sports that have recognised international competitions where Australia can compete, and host tournaments. football, rugby, cricket, tennis, Olympic sports etc.

How the financial investment in AFL is justified is beyond me. It has a strong commercial model, so it should be able to operate far more independently.

It’s because you have a lot more big name personalities that follow AFL, NRL etc. The people that would make a stink if you decided to cut funding. Also the higher ups that make the calls are more likely to be involved in those sports as well. It’s not like neither Labor nor Liberals have shown they’re above protecting their own

I completely agree. Doesn’t make it right though.

Aren’t there always a lot of marginal seats in Victoria?

Ahhh, good old Australian football administration, always shooting itself in the foot.

The sooner the state federations get the boot the better.

1 Like

SoccerStoppageTime is having a real go at the FFA right now on Twitter…

Soccer Stoppage Time

@SocStoppageTime
Follow Follow @SocStoppageTime
More
*Attention David Gallop @FFA *

The Clubs know, behind the scenes, you are egging on State Federation to block the Independent League

$ 1.3 million for a CEO with no ability, with all effort going towards trying to keep your highly paid job instead of helping the game move forward

I doubt Gallop would notice or give half a fuck. Been phoning it in for years. At least a couple of board members have responded at various times to the SST rant, so that’s something.

Along with the tweet reported in the General A-league Discussion thread they really seem to have Gallop in their sights.

He’s been having a bunch of screaming matches with journos who are questioning wtf is going on.

Sst aren’t exactly the most reputable or unbiased “media outlet”

2 Likes

Secret Society Tirade.

Yep, a pretty frothing set of mostly Wests fans.
They may be right on this issue, but they are working off a ruined base position by giving pretty much unchallenged free rein to Tony Rallis, who, while entertaining, is as biased and self-interested as you can be, being a player agent. I mean, they thought the Bolt shebang was a good idea, where the only problem was that the FFA weren’t fully into it.

1 Like

For the record, I really want the independent A-League to get up, I reckon it’s the only way the clubs are going to really throw money into the game and give it the kick up the arse it needs.

1 Like