Independent A-League

Same here. Really looking forward to seeing how it gets run, especially in regards to how they brand and market the A League, there’s such an opportunity there - the FFA have been woeful in being able to market the league.

This is more about a-league independence than Stajcic so posted here…

Amazing that they cannot deal with two things at once.

I guess walking and chewing gum at the same time is a bit beyond the competence of the FFA.

1 Like

In fairness, creating another facebook ad for the a-league takes up a fair bit of time…

So today is July 1 - wasn’t yesterday the deadline for this?

Vince Rugari tweeting an agreement was reached

The NLWG recommendations will see Clubs having full and perpetual use of their intellectual property rights with the mandate to oversee the running of the Leagues.

Long overdue and a good step towards commercial sustainability.

Sounds like a good outcome for everyone. Interesting also to note that FFA are waiving the fees for the next four years.

So… how does all this play with the continued rubbish talk of a 2nd division.

If the 12 clubs now decide that any 2nd division won’t be a pathway to the A-League, can the FFA overrule? i.e. – the A-League clubs say we won’t abide to relegation (and why would they!)

Why would clubs like MFC or WU pay tens of millions of dollars to join a league they could be relegated out of in 5 years… now that they have more power.

I know that the announcements of 2nd division working parties are mostly just beasts of placating the noise makers like Sth Melbourne I just find it interesting how anyone thinks the A-League clubs would ever agree to being relegated

In terms of relegation, it won’t happen until all current licenses have expired and a new system has been put into place with regards to membership. From what it says, FFA still hold veto power over certain aspects of the game “for the good of the game” and i’d assume that one of these is the new body to remove all talk of promotion/relegation.

I suspect that’s where the FFA holding onto the ‘good of the game’ governance comes in.

I wonder if they’ve inserted a minimum number of controversies clause into the running of the league. That and a cap of the maximum amount of work the independent board is allowed to do per year. They don’t want to make the ffa look bad now do they?

1 Like

That’s been described as a veto power, which wouldn’t allow them to force through anything. All that means is that the FFA maintains the ability to prevent the clubs increasing the number of foreign spots to 7/8/9 as they’ve been agitating for.

Happy that we get some progress with this, the FFA should concentrate on the grassroots, after all if those are producing talent then all the other levels will prosper.

The professional game needs ownership so they can invest without fear of that if they do it right they will benefit and not someone else.

We’ll never find out, but I’d be curious to know how this $4.5m+/year plus percent of transfer fees compares to how much they were taking out of the existing revenue streams (over the top of the cost of league administration).

I wonder whether the clubs have directly gained any money from the outset, as they were initially demanding, or whether they’ve signed on for the presumed futrure benefits - with the growth in league revenues under the independent body as a matter of faith.

I think the wording makes it sound like the FFA weren’t any worse off under the deal, but like you say that could be less if the clubs don’t get big fees for selling players or no new licences are sold.

Wonder how this affects expansion

If this is true, this quote from the Guardian article is interesting…

"Other terms also include FFA to receive 10 per cent of any international transfers of A-League players and 10 per cent of any future sales of club licences. FFA will also keep a one-fifth equity share in the new management body."

The transfers one is wild. Is that in existence anywhere in the world?

I am guessing it’s to repay money into the grassroots where they learned those skills initially.

Makes me wonder if they will reopen the COE.