It's OK to be White and other dogwhistles - the Australian politics thread

DAMN! I was looking at going to Perth if it was Saturday night.

And maybe I still canā€¦

Election day madness

The A-League grand final is set to battle for attention with the results of the federal election after Football Federation Australia ruled out moving the competitionā€™s decider away from its scheduled date.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison showed little regard for Australian football fans when he announced on Thursday morning that the election will take place on May 18 - the same day as the A-League grand final.

The decider is pencilled in to be a night-time event, meaning results of the election will begin to trickle out while the domestic gameā€™s top prize is up for grabs.

Instead of competing for eyeballs with other codes, FFA will also have to contend with Antony Green on ABC for viewers. Sunday morningā€™s match reports will be buried underneath either the news of an expected change in leadership - or a shock return to power for the Coalition. It hasnā€™t deterred FFA, however, with sources informing The Hairdryer the grand final will almost certainly go ahead on May 18. Perth and Sydney are the frontrunners to host the event with Glory and the Sky Blues on course for a top-two finish.

The grand final will be on the 18th, if we are involved otherwise it will be the 19th

Thatā€™s fucked. Talk about a way to get absolutely no one watching.

Itā€™s not the election coverage that has got no one watchingā€¦

In all seriousness though, how many people sit there and watch the election coverage for hours on end? You flick over, jump online for a few mins, see whatā€™s happening and then go on with your life, knowing that no matter who wins, the country will be fucked and weā€™ll have another 3 Prime Ministers by the time the next election hits

1 Like

Me. Watched the whole night of budget coverage and do the same for every election (federal and big states and UK and US).

#thuglyf

4 Likes

Leyonhjelm, misses out on a safe, do nothing job for the next eight years.

What a shame.

2 Likes

While itā€™s a great bit of schadenfreude, the fact that theres a bunch of loons from One Nation and the gun party brings the mood down somewhat.

I agree with RoryBunk, even if I enjoy the fact that Leyonhjelm missed out completely. Replaced one sack of shit for another.

1 Like

For anyone interested in the energy/renewables debate/nightmare that weā€™ve endured for the last few years - Tom Ballardā€™s podcast Like Iā€™m a Six Year Old had a really interesting episode with Simon Holmes a Court. Heā€™s an expert on this sort of stuff, energy transition etc. Worth a listen:

Man, this week has just been a big one for scandals eh?

Iā€™m quite fortunate that Iā€™ve 99.9% made my mind up where my preferences are going, which has allowed me to just about switch off.

Weā€™ve got a weird campaign by Labor in West Ryde. They did it for the state election and now doing it here. They are writing ā€œlettersā€ to all the houses as though theyā€™ve been privately written by locals to support candidates. In general donā€™t care, but first one I got, I thought it was from my crazy neighbor.

The current one was to support the Doctor running in our electorate as, the letter details, the Doctor saved the life of the person writing the letter. Thought that was a pretty low thing to do, either making up the story, or using someoneā€™s life/death situation to try and capitalize on a political position

Early voted today and asked the UAP pamphlet pusher which of their policies most interested her in getting involved. #scenes I get its a volunteer post and thats a joke/stunt party but she was incoherent.

1 Like

Howā€™s there paying workers their entitlements or their creditor policy?

Same as the Peter Perchtold policy.

1 Like

Warren Entsch is my local member :frowning:

We have a local liberal sitting member in Lucy Wicks that is so dumb that they gag her every election. We do not see her anywhere in the media.

Yet she gets elected every single time.

Would we be worse off if more of them adopted this strategy?