Job and Workplace Advice Thread

This was a part of the older forum and is now something of more interest to me after graduating uni so I’ve decided to start up a new one.

Post here regarding advice for the workplace and anything job related.

I’ll start off with a quick question to some of those further into their career than myself. Ive recently landed myself my first professional role through an employment agency. The opportunity and role is fantastic, however after a few discussions I’be come to realise that perhaps being contracted out via the agency was not the best decision. Does anyone have any experience with moving from an agency to gaining employment exclusively with the company? It is a new role so it isn’t something I’m looking to bring up soon, but it is a discussion I want to have at some point so would love any tips/pointers for taking this on.

Its pretty common, the big roadblock is that your contract and the contract between the agency and the firm almost always entitles them to a very significant payment should you work for the client direct or via another agency within 6 months of the end of the contract.

it can be negotiated through, I’ve done it more than once, if there’s a strong longstanding relationship between agency and client and they really want you, it can be worked through.

Expect a 35-45% pay cut, maybe less if the agency is underpaying you.

Thanks for that. Was unaware of the 6 month clause and it was never discussed with me, so might be something for me to bring up in the future. The company is dedicating a lot of resources toward training, development plans etc. which has me hoping that their is a future with them away from the agency at some point. Again, something I may discuss in a few months with them as it is a relatively new role.

Might not be exactly 6 months but that thats the most common duration.

You should have a copy of your contract, if not, request one and read it.

There’s a 1st level help desk position available at my work, based in North Ryde. PM me for more details if you’re interested.

Optus?

CSR Building Products

I’m keen to leave my current role and start looking for a new job. Only problem is I’m keen to use my boss as a reference. Should I tell him straight away or wait until I have something lined up. He is a decent bloke but is it asking for trouble letting him know so soon?

depends on the relationship with your boss. I asked my direct supervisor to be my reference and he agreed, but he’s a good friend. Others may not be so happy to do so. My previous supervisor flat out refused to be a reference in general, even for people that were starting positions outside of my company.

1 Like

Any reasonable person should be happy to provide a reference, people move on and grownups don’t take it personally. That said many companies have a rule that they’ll only confirm dates of employment and salary in order to avoid lawsuits (US companies especially)

Witholding a reference is petty bullshit and you wouldn’t want one from someone who thought it was OK.

2 Likes

This is a dick move. Anyone petty enough to fuck their employees over like that (a reference from a current supervisor can make or break a potential job) shouldn’t be in management.

1 Like

She wasn’t the smartest person. For some reason she had it in her head that she’d get fired for providing a reference.

Thanks lads for your advice

Not sure it’s worth it’s own thread but a tax time inquiry. I’m in need of a new accountant to lodge some old returns. I found one who is local and has seemingly excellent Google and Facebook reviews (a little too good). I spoke to her on the phone today and she sounded very on the ball (a little too on the ball). She’s asked to kick things off with some very basic details like TFN, DoB etc but I have this paranoia that I might be getting my details harvested for some elaborate scam. The website is a little sketchy and most of the Google reviews are the only reviews made by each of the reviewers.
Is this fear rational? Outside of meeting face to face is there any way to check that shes a registered accountant and everything is legit?

Based on nothing, I reckon trust your gut, the difference between an ok and a great accountant isn’t worth the risk if you do get the dodgy one.

https://www.tpb.gov.au

Check that they’re registered with the Tax Practitioners Board.

You could also visit the CPA and CAANZ websites (these are the two main professional bodies for accountants) and see if they’re registered on either of those.

Cheers

Ben

Figure this is the best place on here to ask, and someone should have a general idea. Received a new job offer conditional on a background check. Got myself in a touch of trouble about 4 years ago and had no conviction recorded but a finding of guilt and 6 month bond by section 10(b). It’s my understanding that despite the contract asking you to disclose convictions (of which none were recorded) AND any findings of guilt I don’t actually have to legally disclose this, nor should it appear on any background check? I’ve done a bit of googling and sifted through what resources I could, but looking for anyone with a bit more experience in this area that could lend a hand?

Be less dumb?

my understanding is the same as yours Troy, a section 10 means that you have not been convicted of a crime and have no criminal record. Let me check with the cove’s resident lawyers.

just had a thought, if it’s a government background check it may well show up. But if its a private business I don’t think it would.