North American Football

Couldn’t find a specific thread for this. I’m sure random posts appear in random places.

But, something i heard on the World Football Phone-in, with Dotun and Tim. There is a real possibility that the Mexican league will combine with/join the MLS.

That is a huge move and extremely exciting. Just a random article on it i searched for the start of the thread.

Apparently they are now in talks of actually joining the two top leagues with Mexico and USA/Canada.

There was a time we in Australia considered us on the same stage as MLS, but they are so far beyond us. Of course there are many differences from financial to culture.

I don’t see why this would be a good thing. Can you explain why you think this is exciting?

I’m looking at it from a populous , spreading football, marketing point of view in North America i guess. Not in the way of European Super League kind of way as the difference is significant.

Things don’t last and can be and often have been cancelled and changed, as this could , but this kind of thing can ‘unify’ football over there between cultures on the generic level. Combine finances between the two leagues and create publicity for football to grow.

I’m not blind to the other challenges and all the other shit that goes with American culture and all that.

Is it good for MX? Good for MLS? is it just more money making for fat cats? It’s a bit of all of those.

I’m excited because the possibility of giving more people football to enjoy and to become part of the global football family would be increased.

I don’t know but I’d imagine the Mexican clubs would kill the MLS teams although maybe not financially

Well they consistently kill them in the CONCACAF Champions League thingy, so yeah you’d think so.

That’s the thing. MX clubs could really change things on the MLS system, giving the thousands and thousands of fans another priority .

Given Mexico can’t compete with their southern neighbors, stuck with CONCACAF. If anything it would be a positive for Mexican football.

I’m guessing the MLS side of things is thinking short term, but in long term it’s a win for the Mexicans.

There’s a fair amount of $$ in Mexican football now, they outdo a lot of the South American clubs. Tigres beating Palmeiras in the WCC thingo isn’t a huge upset.