Potential Australia World Cup 2030 or 2034 Bid

Fucking stupid, this will do nothing more than drain funds and attention from the far more important and desperately needed rehabilitation of the domestic game.

3 Likes

what if we end up with cupholders?

3 Likes

Worth it then, obvs…

I think we can all agree that it would be great to get some upgraded infrastructure for Aussie rules.

1 Like

Well, AFLW is expanding over the next two seasons, so they’ll definitely need access to grounds between December and Match…

I re-read that a dozen times.
WAFL is west Australian football league, AFLW is the women’s AFL.

1 Like

Just assumed it was the same as W-League - my mistake!

Fixed!

1 Like

And in WA everyone just says it like waffle.

1 Like

Do you mean Women’s AFL the first and only professional Women’s sport in the country???

2 Likes

As if VFL wasn’t unwatchably scrappy anyways, they had to make it even worse by making professionals out of chicks who’ve only been playing it for 5 mins because they’re “athletic” and no others sport pays.

Apparently theyre not allowed to be athletic if that picture is anything to go by?

I don’t know if this affects the 2030/2034 bid but there has been talks for a few years of Sydney bidding to host the Commonwealth Games in 2026 or 2030. It’s actually marketed as a Western Sydney bid which seems unusual for an intentional event. I can only assume there will be no Opera House or harbour imagery involved and no events held east of Sydney Olympic Park? I’m sorry, Western Sydney Olympic Park.

EDIT: I just learnt that Sydney has previously hosted the Commonwealth Games. In 1938, the then Empire Games was held in Sydney with the venues including Moore Park, Henson Park & North Sydney Pool. TIL.

1 Like

The international tournaments/sporting events that Australia or an Australian city is bidding to host, planning to bid to host, or confirmed to host off the top of my head are:

-2023 women’s FIFA WC (confirmed, with NZ)
-2032 Olympics/Paralympics, Brisbane (confirmed)
-2027 men’s Rugby World Cup (maybe 2031?)
-2030/2034 men’s FIFA WC (with Indonesia?)
-2026/2030 Commonwealth Games, (Western) Sydney

Stadium Australia would be used in 4 of these, possibly even as part of Brisbane 2032 for the football, like venues outside Sydney were used in 2000.

On another note, can you imagine if we’d won the 2022 World Cup bid? Surely, with COVID, we’d be in deep shit, no?

Arlington Oval was used as a training venue.

Sydney is also hosting the 2027 Netball World Cup.