R16: Australia vs Denmark 7 August

Just over 24hrs to go. Still the questions over Kerr’s fitness.

1 Like

Fire up now.

What’s the word been with Kerr? I presume the same as the last game - on the bench just in case but best if we don’t need her at all?

Should be an insane atmosphere tomorrow night. Approx 80k people, knock out match in a home World Cup. Doesn’t get much bigger

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if we see her at all. Still convinced shes out for the tournament

In all fairness, every player who isn’t starting is “on the bench” at a World Cup. The allowed substitutes is however many players are not ruled out through suspension.

I reckon Kerr will only come on if there’s five minutes to go and we’re a goal down, or if we’re two minutes from a penalty shoot-out. I don’t see her being risked otherwise.

1 Like

It’s stadium Australia… It’s not going to be insane atmosphere.

4 Likes

Tony Gustavsson has, in fact, telegraphed it already, referring to Kyah Simon and specifying the sort of impact she could have on the latter stages of the tournament as a ‘game-changer’ in one of his press conferences. Don’t be surprised if this game or another goes all the way and in the final minutes of stoppage time, Simon - who has nerves of steel and shown up in many big Matildas moments over the years - is brought on simply to take a penalty.

Why does this not start till 8.30pm?

There’s an extra hour between kick-off times now to allow for the chaos of last night (ET / penalties).

Guess it’s the lesser evil compared to England vs Nigeria starting at 4:30pm.

1 Like

England vs Nigeria is on at 5:30, and they need to allow for 120 mins + PKs. Then the pre-game show needs to say PK no less than 40 times prior to the next game kicking off.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Two games and time for extrqas and pennos makes sense.

Doesn’t explain why game 1 doesn’t start at 4pm mind!

Hospital is closed tonight, I’m putting a sign on the door.

2 Likes

Are you gonna be right for work tomorrow, staying up past 8.30 on a school night!

3 Likes

No! I’m going to be grumpy!

Named an unchanged lineup from the Canada game

Thanks Gianni, very nice seat.

2 Likes

Crowd sounds so loud on TV

1 Like

Denmark looking really good