Round 13 - Sydney FC vs Adelaide - 13/1/19

Young is a great shot stopper but hes not a great all round keeper.

Closer to home, I’d say Cisak?!

Otherwise, Thomas, Young, Moss, Galekovic and I’d throw Kurto in there too who’s not spoken much of (albeit a foreigner) could be better served for us between the sticks.

Edit: Having said all that, I’d never want to put my hand up to be a keeper and I do give them a fair pasting more often than not but Redmayne is serving a worthwhile purpose. Having a top keeper though typically equals a strong season and silverware when looking back at history.

Birighitti?

I do keep seeing those facebook comments about “Cisak is better” but i question how many of those have seen him play.

1 Like

Daniel Margus at Adelaide is who we should be looking at… I really think he is the next goalkeeper who is capable of being top level

Tell them to get out of the pub earlier and watch him during warm-ups. I’ve seen enough to know why he’s not challenging Redmayne and why we’ve just extended Heward-Belle to likely take over as # 2 next season.

1 Like

Probably not many have seen him, including myself, but we may have a hidden gem riding the pine?

I wouldn’t be against SC rotating keepers to keep them on their toes. Redmayne seems to be a default choice and complacency can easily set in. Even though he hasn’t really warranted a drop to the bench, it would be good to see Cisak more in action.

Tough to pass judgement off a warm up when he’d know he’s not starting (again).

It may be a simple case of Redmayne’s spot to lose and he’s done well enough that he’s not in danger of losing a start. But to stake any sort of claim the #2 also has to take every opportunity to show he’s better. Cisak has been here 2 years, few injuries in there too, and only seen 4 competitive minutes off the bench when Redmayne copped a knock at Rockdale.

I’m trusting the judgement of our staff who see them both day in, day out. If Cisak was clearly better he’d have earned a start by now.

Or even how many have seen him, my personal observation from looking him at him warm up in front of The Cove is that he looks less like a goalkeeper and more like a forklift driver, one that doesn’t have a gym membership.

1 Like

That was basically his problem when he arrived right? He wasn’t making the bench due to fitness issues.

All makes sense, but I was wondering the other day - if Heward-Belle is to take over as number two, why not have him on the bench now over Cisak?

Tratt and De Jong made the A League Team of the Week.

Jacob Tratt (Sydney FC)

Tratt is a centre back by trade but you wouldn’t know it on the basis of his barnstorming display from fullback in Sydney FC’s 2-1 win over Adelaide United.

The former Sutherland Sharks prospect notched a crashing header in the second half - a move becoming something of a Tratt trademark following an eerily similar effort in the Sydney Derby - to help the Sky Blues to an important three points.

Siem de Jong (Sydney FC)

De Jong has flown under the radar for the Sky Blues but this season but he - like Sydney FC fans - will hope his majestic free kick against Adelaide United will pave way for great things to come.

The Dutchman’s prowess from the dead ball has already booked space on Sydney’s end of season highlights reel, but de Jong looked a player returning to his sharpest and most clinical in a 2-1 win for the reigning Premiers - a worrying thought for the rest of the competition.

EDIT Full Link: https://www.a-league.com.au/news/hyundai-a-league-team-week-round-13-1?utm_source=&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=&utm_term=1017679

Some great play when we moved the ball quickly forward, two good goals, some of our best defending all season and a great result.
However, for too long, we were frighteningly ponderous and our attempts to take no possession risks (by not passing forward) meant ever more risky side passing across the back four. We are inviting disaster here. Calver and to some extent Wilko don’t seem to a) trust their own forward passing ability and/or b) the ball-holding/shielding skills of their attacking colleagues. The number of times they burnt MF and attackers’ early runs was terrible. And then they get caught under pressure and just hoof it out anyhow. This is very poor. Adrian used to demand the ball and gradually got the defenders used to passing to him - and for Jordi (like Jop and the Boss), good strong, forward diagonal passes seemed to be core to his repertoire. Wilko used to pass so well too.The Nux, PG and MV will kill us if we do this endless side-passing nonsense against them.
Great to see Tratt take his chance so bloody well. (Memo to Charles: if Bimbi every gives you another chance, this is the type of attitude we are looking for.) Tratt might be the long-term solution to a younger CB combination, perhaps with Warland. Also Zullo had a fantastic game. H and Tratt put Bill’s cousin and Goodwin out of the game, rendering Halloran also useless. This is no easy feat, at all. Happy days.

2 Likes

Thats way too kind on Redmayne. He may have played well against Perth and saved us at the end but he’s bang average even at a-league level. His distribution is shite and thats not being harsh. And I just think overall he doesn’t actually save that much. Nobody expected him to be as good as Vukovic but there’s so many times where we concede and you’ll watch the replay and think “Redmayne could’ve done a lot better.” Connor Pain’s goal the other day is a prime example. He doesn’t make huge mistakes like Vedran used to/still does but far too often we concede goals that a better keeper would have stopped.

Absolutely losing my mind at Bimbi taking a sub to the end.

Tratt went down, got up limping on one leg and lost his man twice by the fact he could no longer run leading to the last two chances they had and the Redmayne save.

Couldn’t understand what he was still doing on the pitch.

It was strange, if not just to slow the game down

Thought we were mostly good, but just stopped playing for the last 30 mins or so and really invited Adelaide on to us. Fatigue obviously played a part, but we really struggled to keep the ball once we went two up top.
Still looking disjointed in attack, and not getting enough players beyond the ball outside of ALF, but I liked the system better for our personnel.
Calver is a real worry, another ridiculous penalty to give away.
The two CMs are well under par as well; taking too many touches in simple situations, and just poor distribution in general. Not sure if their form is contributing to the general disjointedness, or whether it’s the other way around (i.e. the system confusing the players), but it needs to improve either way.

I’ve watched the replay a stack of times and still can’t see the contact. Corica indicated he thought Blackwood took a dive in his presser too.

I wouldn’t take any coach’s view aligning with “we were hard done by” without a large dose of salt.
I thought Calver was clumsy. Those things equally may or may not be given, depending on the ref, the day, weather conditions, alignment of the planets etc. We sometimes get those, we sometimes don’t.
The mess around these kinds of situations are one of the things which are a bit shit about football, and which for example VAR will never solve.