Round 13 - Sydney FC vs Adelaide - 13/1/19

I was ready to throw my shoe at Corica for not pushing this 3rd sub much earlier when he had the chance just as stoppage time started. You could see Adelaide had the momentum and looking dangerous and we had the perfect opportunity to slow them down and didn’t - almost, almost paid for it too. Very lucky to escape I think.

Tratty, as far I could see, won every single aerial challenge he went up for - reminds me of the days Colosimo was bossing high balls once upon a time.

Was funny to see Wilko stay back for set pieces, because we had the big lad at full back who could go up instead.

1 Like

Someone has remarked Grant wont make the squad after yesterdays game!..ha ha

Tratty has more than justified his inclusion,plenty of options with Jop/Warland/Grant to comeback!

Hats off to SC,Adelaide outplayed Melbourne mid week…They couldnt reproduce that effort.

This was a valuable 3 points.

Equal 2nd at around halfway point…1/2 spots are there for the run to the semis.

Yeah, completely unwilling to play advantage which just served to make the game a kicking contest.

Who should we play in place of Brillante next week? Retre?

Yep, the referee was absolutely horrendous and more often than not was extremely happy to disrupt the flow of play. So many times the play could’ve just been allowed to go on. Seeing we were in front, it may have worked in our favour more often than not.

Where is Zuvela?

Edit: oh that knee is indefinite. Guess it’s pretty much gotta be Retre.

…or change to a 3-4-3…???

Don’t remember seeing anything official from the club, but someone here said it was an ACL. Really shit luck for the lad, was hoping to see him push on this year and get more game time.

Yeah Im interested to see how Retre goes. He does better in the middle than RB and this could be bit of mini audition for whether hes cut out to replace O’Neill when he inevitably moves to the UK at some point.

You are probably correct. I am going on his performances wit us last year when he had very few options to feed players running off him. He also has a fairly weak shot for a #10.

To tell you the truth I would like him back for next year with he and Murray together.

That was me that mentioned that.

Came from the horses mouth after the Wanderers game at ANZ a few weeks back when I saw him hobbling down the steps after the game to the pitch and asked, “how long”…I got a shake of the head a short response of, “9 months;ACL” response.

I’ve been noticing it’s either ACL or hamstrings this season across the league, don’t hear as many calves, quads, groins etc. occurring (or I’m just not taking much notice outside of our lot).

1 Like

Tratt has so much passion for the game I love it! He leaves everything out on the pitch. There’s so many redmayne haters but these past few weeks he’s shut them up

1 Like

Caceres will come in for Brillante, Retre will come in for DDS or be on the bench again.

Do you reckon?

Good save at the end last night, but over last couple of games I’d say he’s been pretty bad overall.

He still seems unable to organise his defenders (Calver has a go at him early on for not talking). He’s been suspect under high balls. He’s not blowing my mind with his distribution…

I’m not saying he’s everything that’s wrong with the world, but he seems to be struggling.

Yeah I’d almost suggest he is worse at that than Vedran…

Redmayne saved us 2 points in probably the save of the season to be fair, but by no means has been convincing between the sticks so far. Prior to that I’m pretty sure we will all recall his brain snap in trying to rush an unnecessary punt that went 20m at best and right to the opposition’s feet when he should have just slowed the game down, let our boys move up the park, bounce the ball a couple times, put the ball down etc.

I don’t mind having that gung ho attitude at 2-1 and trying to go for the kill but yesterday wasn’t one of those days coming off a shit loss midweek.

After last season I was super surprised when Wellington let Tratt go and super happy when we signed him - I hope they lock him in for next season soon. With West Melb looking for players he could have options to leave if they dont act.

1 Like

His distribution is really poor. I’m can only assume that he’s instructed to always kick it down the right side of the pitch, because that’s were he targets 9/10 times, but he slices the hell out of it a lot of the time.

He’s very much a confidence player (Clint Bolton, who knows him well, was saying this in an interview a few months back - in a supportive way) but I suspect that in games where he’s a little down on confidence for whatever reason, he gets very quiet. Some of the issues that we’ve had at the back seem related to a lack of communication and guidance from Redders.

I’ve noticed this too about him and I think hes improved since replacing Vuka but feel there’s no room left for him to get better. Still young for a keeper I guess and still a bit of time/hope for him up his sleeve. There’s a number of other keepers in the league that I’d replace him with in a heartbeat an ideal non capped world though.

On the contrary, he’s no Paul Izzo or Vedran which would be much more painful.

Vuka spoiled us. Hes a perfectly competent and capable keeper whos capable of getting us a few points, as he has done. He fills one of the good but not amazing players that you have to have so ive got no major issues with him and perfectly happy for him to keep playing and think he gets an unfair deal from fans based off his reputation before playing for us

2 Likes

Redders obviously has his faults, but realistically which aleague keeper would you rather have than him? Only Thomas and possibly Young imo.