Round 13 - Western United vs Sydney FC - 21/1/22

huh? we lost Bujis, Brosque, Bobo, Brillante, Carney, De Jong and Adrian when Corica started. All were either key or starting players…

3 Likes

Comparing the decline of the team under Corica with continual displays of incompetance with Arnold’s one bad season is clutching at straws fellas.

It’s a shit comparison.

It was Arnold’s 2nd season here. He tried something different. It didn’t work. He chucked it out the window and tried another approach.

Corica is in his 5th season of, “I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas”.

Stop fucking comparing them. It’s not apt.

5 Likes

In A-League terms, the turnover was actually pretty slow,.and rightfully so - we were successful, and stability was part of the ethos.
Corica was always working off a high base, whereas Arnold had to build a side himself.

Arnie also had that one bad season and then led the league for literally the entire season that followed. Corica has us lower than where we finished last year currently.

Arnold’s shit season came off the back of a GF appearance, which was a huge turnaround after the ROT. We also had recruitment issues that year, so probably wasn’t a surprise that we were off the pace.
It’s not the same situation.

Second season. He made three GFs in a row prior to that, winning two of them.

6 Likes

Arnold’s adaptive qualities are something interesting to see. Even with the Socceroos I was impressed with his introduction of youth and experience, and mostly decent selections and tactics, though it does help when you win.
Corica is struggling to adapt and for a club like Sydney you need to vary. Even Warren Moon saw that the results were not forthcoming and adapted to the circumstance. Not that I want Sydney playing that way, but trying the same thing over and over and still coming up with the same results is a real worry. He has a pretty talented but not complete side, with a selection of some very promising youth yet here we are.

All at once? Name one signing that was a massive success,. Le Fondre in his first stint, yeah. Who else?

Wait, Brosque, De Jong, Brillante were all in the team for his first grand final, he let De Jong go, Brosque retired and we all thought Brattan replacing Brillante was a win for us

It’s been down on the recruitment since then so whoever works with him there needs to be held as accountable

The issue is the league has caught up with him, he’s tried to change it this year but it hasn’t worked and we look worse so it’s time to go

1 Like

People acting like Arnold was tactically flexible when he was the king of the 85, 88 and 92 minute subs in exact same positions regardless of game scenario? Corica has tried far more variety, just with less success. Arnie ran a machine that was more efficient and got better results: partly with better players in an identical system, partly also because we kept critical players fit, partly because of the Vibe.

4 Likes

The comparison is absolutely apt. The initial comment was anyone who finished 8th should be sacked immediately irregardless of what theyve done. I pointed out how that type of blanket statement is ridiculous and used the Arnie situation as a perfect example.

And yeah Arnie had one season in the bank at the time where even if we made it to the final it was a really drab season from us and a miracle we made it to the final. The next season was the 7th place where we were utterly mediocre. He got given a season to sort it out and did and the rest is history.

Corica had far more seasons of success with us (and yes the whole he inherited Arnies squad and didnt contribute anything is a massive minimisation of what he did- as mentioned he already saw great squad changes and kept our success going longer than teams often peak in this league). He deserved this season to be given the shot to improve things. It didnt work.

And the comments about he just did 5 seasons of nothing seems immensely disrespectful over what he accomplished with us.

2 Likes

No Way was 2014-15 drab. Second half of the season in particular was packed with really fun, high scoring matches. 5-4 vs Roar, 3-3 vs Vuck, 4-3 vs Jets, 4-2 and 5-1 vs CCM, and 4-3 and 3-2 derby wins. Janko and Brosque running riot, Milos D pulling strings, and we were also a bit messy at the back (as those results would suggest).

I’d say that this was Sydney’s most entertaining season ever.

2 Likes

I’m making a comment on the fact that all these players had to be replaced. They were all replaced and we still managed to win the final the very next year. People have this cloud over their eyes because the team has been “team Ninko” for so many years, that they completely ignore the other players coming and going and assume that nothing has changed

5th season.

He Bradburied his titles on the back of a lacklustre league and the legacy of Arnold’s tenure with an organization that still believed in it’s divine right to win everything.

He’s destroyed that. And he did it over his first three seasons. Last season and this one are everyone just figuring out that it happened.

2 Likes

It’s not. Give it up.

1 Like

Fuck it. I’ll disrespect him. He’s out of his depth. He’s been given more time than he deserved. He inherited a culture of winning and fucked it in the eye with a 12" rubber donger with the the life like, realistic veins.

He’s presided over the decline of the best organisation this sport has ever seen. His tactics are shit, his recruitment is shit, his retention of internally developed talent is shit.

And he’s too goddamed stupid to realise he can’t turn it around and just quit.

3 Likes

The lifelike realistic veins was a nice touch​:joy:

1 Like

Drab not in the entertaining sense but more we seemed to luck our way through a fair few games were were terrible in (and those games show the defence was a mess). Theres no round by round table on wiki but feels like we stumbled into second. Definitely remember thinking at kickoff of that horror final “do we actually deserve to be here?”

1 Like

We’re not Bayern Munich or Celtic (thankfully). No one has continued and sustained success in league and theres always a rapid fall. Corica stretched out our years at the top by recruiting well and now we’re in a pretty expected rut, as always happens with the cap.

3 Likes

Utter nonsense.

The recruitment generally during the Corica years has been appalling, with a succession of poor decisions to renew ageing players that were past their prime, signing players not fit to wear the sky blue, signing players who are simply not fit enough to last 90 minutes in the A-league (including marquee signings).

Corica may or may not have been wholly responsible for the year-on-year deterioration of the squad post-Arnie (as the P+ doco revealed we have a clueless Chair, CEO and board), however it’s his name over the door. He had his chance to step down with dignity at the end of last season but didn’t take it. The running of the club is arguably as poor as it’s ever been.

4 Likes

The idea that it’s just the aleague and we need to do our time at the bottom is one of the poorest takes ive seen.

You can argue that corica taking Arnies team to initial success earned him a few years of mediocrity but you could equally argue that he never did anything to earn the position in the first place and I always felt it was a poor appointment. Of course I supported him during the initial success but as it transitioned from Arnies team to Coricas it became clear he just wasn’t an elite level coach and I think making the call on it at the end of last season would have been justified.

1 Like