Round 13 - Western United vs Sydney FC - 21/1/22

So for the next 90 minutes at least, let’s just enjoy…

Corica post-match with SFC

Corica post match press conference

Sydney FC vs Western United highlights

Start spreading the news
He’s coaching today
He’s gonna coach a goal for us

Yeah I’ve been long on the Corica in and giving him this season was absolutely the right move and the type of club that I want to support but things evidently arent working anymore. If we’re going to still keep Corica, I want to see him building the club by giving Gurd, Wood, Kucharski and Segecic and other younger players proper decent minutes- that approach would make these results far more acceptable and leave us in better position next season. Doing the same thing again and again and hoping for something different just isnt the way to go

3 Likes

Narrator: It wasn’t.

5 Likes

It absolutely was NOT the correct move. No Sydney FC manager should ever survive an 8th place finish, it should be unthinkable for a club like this. He should of been sacked at the end of last season, and now we’re paying for the clubs cowardice.

And let’s not even mention Corica being given two years and not just one …

1 Like

The only way it was an acceptable decision is if there is a clause that allows us to easily replace him and it happens now. Corica was given the opportunity to recruit and manage a winning team and he failed…time to move on.

Speculation here but I’m not sure that this actually happened. I mean, if the board did all the recruitment then it gives Corica a pretty strong argument that team the board have put together is trash. Maybe it explains why he continually plays the same players that are underperforming and still has a job.

Arnold finished 7th in 2016…

The difference between a sacking and becoming the most successful manager in the history of the league, is one place on the table?

1 Like

Mmmm. We don’t really know what that 2 years means. I would assume (and it’s been strongly rumoured) that there’s some pretty specific performance targets built in across those two years.

My understanding is that Corica works with the football department to identify need and goes to the board with what they require.

They approve and then the TD and the CEO work together with Corica to target specific players.

I’m sure the head coach can say “hey I want x player specifically” and they work together to get them. Or he says “we need the best wingers you can get me” and they go and find Joe Lolley, come back to Corica who says “yep, I can work with that, go get ‘em ” etc.

It’s not as simple as one person being totally responsible for all aspects of recruitment.

You’d assume, if they were doing it properly, they’d give him a list of players to choose from

Who knows? I’d think ones like Mak or Lolley this year were probably fairly opportunistic. But I’d also think they’d be talking to several players at once in certain scenarios.

I’m sure it’s a bit different, case by case.

People think the coach doesn’t know who the club is signing until they show up for the first day of training?

lol

1 Like

Neither were first choice, in a parallel universe we’ve got Markovic and Mertens in the wide roles (but are probably still just as shit).

Either way, he’s overly relied on players at the end of their careers, aside from Lolley, who wernt playing at any significant level and failed to go after key signings to rectify our issues. He hasn’t balanced important visa signings with key local players and youngsters. I would have just taken Lolley and a decent CB and got more out of segecic and Kucharski and Wood.

We finished 7th in 2015/16. Backed a manager who had less points in the bank than Corica does and become arguably the greatest team in the leagues history. The notion that 1 mediocre season = out the door because were “big” etc etc (even though a salary capped league does not entitle endless dynasties like in the bigger leagues). I absolutely do not and never wanted to support a team that is hapzard and doesnt respect who it employs, especially someone with the club history and prior success of Corica, and sacks at the first shot of something going not ideal. Theres also no guarantee a replacement would have had a better season.

Corica absolutely deserved a season after last to be given the chance to turn it around. He got it, he didnt manage to take it and now we start figuring out what the plan is for next season (and ideally develop the academy players for the rest of the season)

12 Likes

Part about him not going after key signings to rectify our issues is rubbish. He literally rebuilt the team after Arnie left. There was a huge turnover of players in Corica’s early years and he still got success.

The argument over going for experience over youth is a weird one- Arnie did that too. And you cant expect to both win the league and bank on youth- sure Mariners are an exception to the rule this season with their success but you cant ask for titles and academy focused selections.

When did he rebuild the team? It certainly wasn’t straight after Arnie. I would say this yeah was his first real test at rebuilding and it didn’t work.

1 Like