Round 15 - Wellington vs Sydney FC - 23/1/19

Wellington is amateur hour. Everything about the club. They actually bring the level of the league down

1 Like

Corica’s presser here:

Caceres was a tightness in his calf, but SDJ - apparently he heard a crack when he was tackled.

It was especially poor given the conjecture over their future. They shouldn’t be giving FFA any more reasons if they want to stay.

Poor bloody Siem. You can literally hear him scream when he goes down.

And today’s game should once and for all stop the FFA/VAR/SFC/Lizard Men conspiracy theories. Every club is needlessly copping some really poor decisions. I await Bozza’s next comments

VAR ignores an elbow in the face (red card offence) + dive in the box (yellow card offence) whilst inexpicably reaffirming an incorrect penalty. Even the kiwi commentators couldn’t believe it.

I think the Grand Final screwup last season season plus all the howlers this season is more than enough reason to put VAR on hold until they sort their shit out.

VAR missed a pretty clear pen for Adelaide tonight as well.

Corica in.

1 Like

I am still drunk.

It is super windy here.

Yellow Fever lads are super nice.

The referee needs to quit and take up knitting

5 Likes

Seems like you’re right, they’ve changed it to Brosque on the A-League website:

https://www.a-league.com.au/match/wellington-phoenix-v-sydney-fc-a-league-23-01-2019/1002899#!/lineups

Big relief for this weekend

Some fabulous attacking play from us in the first half and good defending all game. Corica really got it right in setting us up to maximise player strengths and cover for our weaknesses (given the threat from Krishna et al). And, despite being a very makeshift back 4, they seemed to really synchronise well. Reddders and/or Wilko doing more talking? Good on Calver too, much improved positioning and much calmer on the ball. O’Neill was superb, Ninko and Josh B getting back to their best. Da Silva is really starting to bloom now and Alf and Brosquie do what they always do.

Brenton Speed mentioned on twitter that the usual VAR ‘Bunker’ isn’t used for games in Wellington and is seemingly outsourced to some other unknown group. Makes it even more of a joke tbh.

Nixout.

Apparently things got a bit heated between Corica and Rudan post game:

That’s weak as piss from Rudes tbh. Corica handled it perfectly when asked about it in his presser.

1 Like

No surprises that Rudes is more of a hothead than Steve. It’s just their personalities.
Corica was bang on the money about Welly’s time wasting when they rolled us. It doesn’t mean they didn’t beat us fair and square, but they were pretty flagrant at this.

Careful Bimbi, he’s after your job!

1 Like

Interesting decision the ref came up with yesterday

(https://mobile.twitter.com/SmithiesTele/status/1088310207363436544)

Might seem relatively small fish in wider context of this week but
 Sydney FC would have had a penalty last night if the VAR had his way. Video ref told ref Daniel Elder decision on handball needed reviewing, Elder watched it on big screen (cos monitor wasn’t working) and (1/2)

decided wind had blown ball into Fenton’s arm. Strange but true. A-League has confirmed decision was wrong. Suspect Elder will quietly be benched, though he’s already appted to be 4th official at Adelaide on Sun

I can’t even get my around at that even. Yeah it was windy, but pretty sure you don’t volleyball it whenever it is windy? He clearly used his arm to control the ball.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I’ve put the match report up here:

It may have been inadvertent, but we now know how Gaelic football began.

The second decision was worse. Clear foul on Zullo, clear dive by Taylor. How the fuck did it stand?