Round 16 - Melbourne vs Sydney FC - 26/1/19

Probably the biggest fixture of the year every season and once again this one really means something for the table as well.

I’m already incredibly nervous about this one. If we win it I think we are a decent shot at winning the title, but a loss would also be a massive blow to our chances and allow Perth the chance to pull away again after they’ve had a bit of a rough patch.

The away bay is basically sold out so we should bring some great noise down there. Who else is heading down?

Heading down for my sixth Aus Day match in a row (well, including the match played in December 2014 cos of the Asian Cup the following month) - really looking forward to it, definitely our biggest game of the year.

Sadly I can’t honestly say I’m optimistic, given the number of players we’re missing and the short turnaround from the Wellington trip.

First one I’ve ever missed at AAMI Park. :disappointed_relieved:

But relax, last time I didn’t go to Etihad we won 5-0. :+1:

The portents are clear. Aaron Calver is the new Hot Knife Through Butter:

• Sydney youth product
  • Right/centre back
  • partial to a yellow
  • clumsy against a fast winger
  • lives with Rhyan Grant
11 Likes

Is Caceres out? With such a short turn around imagine at best hes ready for the bench.

Please note that beer deluxe have screwed us over. The pre match pub will be the crafty squire on Russell st

Corica didn’t have any update on Caceres by the time his presser rolled around so I guess we probably won’t know until teams are announced. Hopefully it was just tightness and he can at least be on the bench.

Really looking forward to this one. I think it’s time to pull out this classic again

3 Likes

Caceres and De Jong both out and awaiting scans.

Team lists, which also confirm that Zullo didn’t pick up the yellow:

Melbourne Victory squad: 1.Matt ACTON (GK), 2.Storm ROUX, 3.Corey BROWN, 6.Leigh BROXHAM, 7.Kenny ATHIU, 8.Terry ANTONIS, 9.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 10.James TROISI, 11.Ola TOIVONEN, 13.Birkan KIRDAR, 14.Tommy DENG, 15.Raul BAENA, 16.Josh HOPE, 19.Rahmat AKBARI, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (GK), 21.Carl VALERI ©, 24.Elvis KAMSOBA, 25.Anthony LESIOTIS two to be omitted

Ins: 13. Birkan KIRDAR (promoted) 25. Anthony LESIOTIS (promoted)
Outs: Nil
Unavailable: Jai INGHAM (quad – TBC), Keisuke HONDA (Hamstring – 1 week), Nick ANSELL (Hamstring – TBC), Georg NIEDERMEIER (Calf – TBC)

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Daniel DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 21.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY, 24.Cam DEVLIN, 25. Joel KING, 31.Luke IVANOVIC one to be omitted

Ins: 21.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY (promoted), 24.Cam DEVLIN (promoted), 25. Joel KING (promoted)
Outs: 17.Anthony CACERES (calf – awaiting scans), 22.Siem DE JONG (knee – awaiting scans)
Unavailable: 5.Jop van der LINDEN (hamstring – 1 week), 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 18.Jacob TRATT (groin – 2 weeks), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite), 23.Rhyan GRANT (International Duty)

Honda still out is terrific news for us as without him they are a much more manageable proposition.

FTT

2 Likes

I’m just trying to estimate out how many people will be travelling down for this (I have nothing better to do with my life). Which bays are designated as Cove again? I know 12 is (and it is down to single seats only), but is 13 as well (it’s unavailable/sold out so I can’t check)? What about the others (11 is sold out, but I don’t recall that being Cove last time)?

Fuck off Melbourne

4 Likes

I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve seen this video!!!

Not confident considering we’re without Siem and Caceres. 2-1 loss imo

Last year they opened up bay 12 and then 13 very late in the piece - I assume only when the previous bay was full.

9 Likes

Was there for the 5-0 game!!

Super nervous about this one, I feel like we may struggle with SDJ. FTT.