Round 17 - Sydney FC vs Melbourne City - 3/2/19

Owe another big Mac to redders there

2 Likes

Glad to get the win

Austin was fucking terrible.

Based on today, the only minutes Austin should ever get is if everyone else is injured. Such bad luck that ivanovic got the injury.

Having Rhyan Grant back was immense. Such an important player for us. Ivanovic looked shaky at the start but that goal will boost his confidence massively, hope his injury doesnt keep him out too long.

Austin is nothing special, obviously, but clearly has a lot to learn about what is expected of him in terms of link-up play and movement in this team. If we werenā€™t putting Gucci on the bench, Iā€™m not sure why Austin was there. Surely he had no more time to settle with the team as Gucci did.

I was thinking about this. I think heā€™s only had one training session which, admittedly, is probably all that Austin has had, but at least Austin is used to the Australian conditions including pitches and such.

Also I couldnā€™t see it on the screen - what was the penalty for and did it seem legit? It was really unclear.

Really soft but Ninkovic did have a handful of his shirt. There was half a second between him letting go and the City player beginning his swan dive though.

Ninkovic had a fist full of Schenkeveldā€™s shirt.

Charlie>Austin

Bit harsh on Austin really. Considering he would have had at most 1 training session with the side no wonder he didnā€™t slot in seamlessly. Taking into account he had only played 78 minutes all season prior to this game it is understandable that he was off the pace as well.
At least he was involved and didnā€™t go missing despite copping it from the crowd from the outset unlike DDS whose loan should be cut short immediately.

2 Likes

Lolā€¦ really? Maybe Iā€™ll have to watch a replay but do you really think Charles would be getting anywhere near the number of chances? At the very least the guy can run and get himself in the position for a chance.

1 Like

Didnā€™t Gooch have some visa issues late on Friday? That could explain why he wasnā€™t playing.

They were about getting everything expedited so no issues there.

My issue with Austin is that everyone knows heā€™s a one trick pony. If your sole asset is pace you should at least have some BASIC understanding of where and when to make your run. He was constantly making the wrong decision, coming towards the ball when there were acres in behind, or going beyond FAR too early and getting caught off. Displayed no fucking brains whatsoever, and thatā€™s nowt to do with ā€œgellingā€ or settling in.

3 Likes

No better way for Austin to get bedded in and it didnt cost usā€¦in the end. Charles would not have even been on the end of it.Lets just revel in the Redmayne , Ninko ,Grant show for now!

1 Like

It is 100% to do with that. You would know what ball your team mate is looking to play and your team mate would know what run youā€™re going to make in a particular situation. Itā€™s how the no look passes and little flicks Brosque & Ninko exchange regularly come off but not when one of them is missing.
If he hadnā€™t played for Melbourne then I donā€™t think the criticism would be so harsh. Heā€™s put in a performance on his first outing not too dissimilar to Trent Buhagiar yet somehow is not good enough for the squad. He also had more of an impact than Retre & DDS today.

Too harsh, imo.

Not many players at this level would be used to playing with someone like Ninko.

Give him a couple of weeks to work out when Ninko can get the ball to him before we know if heā€™s a total dud.

Totally.

For all those that though Buhagiar was transformative, well honestly Trent and Austin are very similar players.