Round 19 - Newcastle vs Sydney FC - 25/03/22

Hope not

Had his run.

We need somebody fresh

Atm he’s the laughing stock of football.

Uffy in!

1 Like

Man, last nights game really had the stench of death around it, didn’t it? Absolutely abject.

No point scrutinising the game too much - we’re playing the same we have all season.

I think the combination of the SFC fan’s loyalty to Corica and the fact that our extra games played have lied about our position on the table mean that Steve hasn’t faced the scrutiny that he really should be under. If the comp had an even amount of games played and we were sitting 9th or 10th (pretty feasible imo) and we put out that last night - you’d pretty much expect Corica to be gone during the week.

Thing is we all like Corica and I’d like to think the club has the class to managage a transition. But I think its pretty clear we need a shakeup. I’m not sure I can trust this football dept to manage a rebuild that should set the tone for the next 6 or so years.

Don’t worry about Arnold or Uffie. We’ve done that. There was a time and a place and it was perfect. But its not like then, when we could just outspend everyone around us. City and Western outspend us, now. I feel like the club is set up, the culture is set up, by all that work over the last 8 years or so. But now we need to set a new standard with the football.

Fuck knows how.

2 Likes

For those complaining about Narsingh’s performance, the guy is a winger not a #9, it’s no wonder he looked like he didn’t know what he was supposed to be doing. Bobo, Barbarouses, Buhagiar and Wood all should have been starting ahead of him in the role he was asked to play last night.

We still have a good squad and, although it’s not as good as previous years, that group of players last night should have been able to comfortably account for the opposition. Yet again though the opposition coach came up with a superior game plan that his inferior players were able to use to outplay us.

I think it’s time the board gave Corica an ultimatum, change things up and look to the future or we’re getting mutual.

2 Likes

We’re pretty mediocre

Team Played Points AVG
WU 18 34 1.89
City 20 37 1.85
MVC 16 24 1.50
ADE 19 28 1.47
MAC 17 25 1.47
WEL 15 21 1.40
SFC 19 24 1.26
NEW 17 21 1.24
CCM 16 19 1.19
WSW 17 19 1.12
BNE 16 17 1.06
PER 16 13 0.81

I think that’s pretty harsh given the combination of his status at the club, and, you know, actual record. And I say that as someone who has argued that his tenure has been managed decline of the Arnie era. Given his achievements, he deserves to see this season out. But I’d definitely want someone more fun to do the rebuild.

3 Likes

There’s no way there’s a parting with Corica before the end of the season.

And there’s still an argument that this is an aberration like Arnie’s 2nd season.

But I’d rather be failing with Warland than Donachie …

2 Likes

This is a ridiculous take.

3 Likes

I suspect the shake up for next year is already in the works.

Several key fixtures of the recent era are done (Ninko, Wilko, Bobô, Zullô), we’ve been very quiet on the re-signing front compared to previous seasons, both of our mid-season signings (Amini, Narsingh) make much more sense toward a 2022-23 4-3-3 than they do toward this season’s immediate needs.

2 Likes

Uh. It’s commonly held.

Commonly held or not, it’s still ridiculous. Shouldn’t be surprised I guess, hyperbolic overblown outrage is the favourite hobby of many football fans.

6 Likes

I mean, his limitations are well known. Always have been.

Like Brian Clough, I want to win the league, but I want to win better. Arnold is Don Revie in this scenario.

1 Like

I don’t think Sydney FC, in it’s full pomp, under Arnold was as stylistically horrible as people suggest.

We played nice football.

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone ever accused Arnold of coaching pretty football.

Quality football. Maybe. Effective? Absolutely. Especially at the time. What we had was amazing players that were great to watch. And I do love to watch us win.

But ask any neutral and they tell you we were dull as ditch water.

The opposition were sure dull as we choked the life out of them.

Which is similar to what happened last night. Not sure if it was a tactical master plan by Papas, but they absolutely monstered us in the middle of the park. The amount of times we had our pockets picked, were pressed and coughed it up on demand, lost second balls etc was reminiscent of Branners and Brillante at their most dominant.

Also, Penha and Boumal are ballers.

1 Like

There’s an awful lot of bias against Sydney FC and Arnold in that assessment too.

We were never as stylistically horrible as people suggest.

6 Likes

I agree but Amini and Narsingh are both on contracts until the end of the season - so what you say may still be true but the shake up could see both of them gone as well.

It’s the way the league has gone. Everyone (except the Nux) has gone to 4-3-3 and increasingly 3-4-3.

With our two in the middle we can’t compete. It’s been that way all season.

I mean, one leads to the other, right?

We dominated the league in a way that crushed all the enjoyment out of it for everyone else. And they hate us for it.

2 Likes

I think the hate for SFC and Arnold come from different places. SFC cause, SFC and Arnold for 2007. They just came together here.