Round 19 - Sydney FC vs Perth - 14/03/20

Also, I think this Coronavirus thing is something concocted by the FFA. They’ve seen the fact that SFC is looking a bit shaky so, to ensure that the league finishes early, they released the virus to stop the final series going ahead, meaning that SFC win by default.

Also 5g

9 out of 10 times, he would of scored that tap in to make it 2-0, could’ve be a completely different game if Melbourne didn’t lose confidence after the Ninkovic goal.

1 Like

I watch all the games, and being overseas, my view from TV is arguably better than from at the ground.

+26 goal difference, 7 less conceded than the next best, i would say yes

YFM: Not great, but playing against better players and individual mistakes, this wasn’t one of the better efforts
CCM: Out possessed/out passed, but only 2 shots on target against, a clean sheet and a 3-0 win. Not sure of the issue here
WSW: Could we have done better on the goal? maybe, but 68% possession, twice as many passes, for only 5 shots on traget would indicate the problem was at the other end for this game
JM: Own goal by a midfielder off a corner, and then the 2nd after a 1-2 around Retre. Defenders maybe a bit slow to turn after the shot, but also unlucky that it bounced off the post and probably not enough time to react anyway.
MV: 3 shots on target. I mean you can say it’s a mistake from Wilko. He’d probably have expected to do better, but an attacker running at a lone defender in the centre of the field always has the odds well stacked in their favour. The key here is not giving the ball away in a stupid area, not the structure and skill of the defence, which brings us to

Well yes, this is what happens, but you can’t blame the defenders when we are giving the ball away in midfield. it’s not AA/8’s. We can’t leave all out defenders on the half way line in case we give the ball away.

Fair. My 2 mistakes comment was specifically Wilko related though. I’ts disapointing we didn’t do better against YFM, but it’s also telling that we are making these indivdual mistakes against YFM and Rojas and not Matt Simon. I don’t think it’s downplaying things to expect that better players may get the better of our defenders more than lesser players.

I do. We are still by far the best organised unit, and that’s with a player at Left Back still learning. Go look at Rob Conthwiates twitter and see him eviscerate the Adelaide United defenders to see a team with something to worry about.

As opposed to going full goo feast when we are 10 points clear, (with the best goal difference)

6 Likes

The header? Wasn’t exactly a tap in, although typical far post positioning he arrived a little later than usual but King still did enough to challenge and put him off.

Their best other chances fell to Kamsoba, and therefore shouldn’t even count as chances. Bloke couldn’t score in a brothel with a massive stack.

Guys I think we’ll win this game.

I think this one will be fine, but I imagine there’s a good chance the derby will be behind closed doors.

Yeah I’m starting to worry about the derby. 30k people all together in a small place isn’t what we need.

Move it to ANZ and separate everyone by an empty seat I say!

1 Like

No real change. They’ve been allocating 5 seats per person to all Bankwest attendees since the last derby anyways.

2 Likes

Zullo and Ivanovic available for selection:

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON (c), 5.Alex BAUMJOHANN, 6.Ryan McGOWAN, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 12.Trent BUHAGIAR, 16.Joel KING, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18.Luke IVANOVIC, 20.Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (gk), 21.Harry VAN DER SAAG, 23.Rhyan GRANT, 24.Marco TILIO, 26.Luke BRATTAN.

2-4 to be omitted

Ins: 2.Patrick FLOTTMANN (promoted), 7.Michael ZULLO (return from injury), 18.Luke IVANOVIC (return from injury).

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: Nil

Great to have them both back. Does Ivanovic get picked ahead of Tilio…I’m not sure he does.

Really it’s a question of Ivanovic or Buhagiar, I’d say.

Would you really count Duke’s jammy header in the derby as a mistake by Gowser? I’m not sure…

Ryan seemed stuck like glue (goal side) to Duke the whole time, and it was only that Duke rose higher (and maybe slightly earlier) that he was able to get something on the cross.

Sure I would have hoped that Ryan did better, but I wouldn’t classify it as a defensive mistake.

Social distancing earlier rather than later seems to be the Twitter opinion

top post In_like_mcflynn

1 Like

I think you can take our ball retention into consideration when you evaluate our overall defensive performances though.

I’m not saying we necessarily have anything to worry about. We’re clearly one of the better performers in the comp.

If we measure against ourselves, though, I think the verdict isn’t quite so favourable. We’re not as solid overall as we were under Arnold and I’m not really convinced it’s by design.

1 Like

At this point we’re at most 11 points away from winning the premiership. Getting points off Perth would go a long way to getting there especially if Nux drop points too. Wonder if we’d get awarded the premiership if things get cancelled

I doubt the league would be cancelled. Seems like postponed or played behind closed doors (I mean seriously what’s the difference?) would be more likely.

But if it were. We really shouldn’t be given the trophy if we haven’t already won it.

So F1 now cancelled.

This week’s home game will probably be our last of the season.

Italians played some Serie-A games behind closed doors initially until they suspended it, and we will probably do the same, unless we reach thousands of positive cases at which time the league/finals could be cancelled.

The Finals series would have started the weekend of 1st of May with the grand final probably on the 17th of May. That’s 9 weeks until the grand final and at the moment it’s hard to see how that will go ahead.

F1 was cancelled when McLaren pulled out I thought? In any case, if they decide to cancel games, you’d like to think the supporters will be behind it…