Round 21 - Wellington vs Sydney FC - 16/3/24

Phew. :sweat_smile: In that case I summon @Sydney_Rovers to provide guidance.

If catching the game while there Welly fans are super welcoming so their home pub (still The Backbencher?) would be an option.

That should get you started

Some fella named “Rodwell” is apparently in the squad. Anyone heard of him?

3 Likes

I think they’ve stopped going there. Last I heard they were at drinking at The Old Bailey

1 Like

There was a decent amount of Wellington fans watching their away game against us at the Four Kings, kitted up and all.

Corica might make an appearance in the stands, telling everyone " thats my team, i recruited all those players"

I feel like our unbeaten run may end very harshly in NZ, but I was wrong about Gosford away, so…:person_shrugging:t5:

This is a real test, not just because it’s against a team that have been able to get consistent results this season, but because we’ve been playing the high press for several weeks now. Initially we were taking teams by surprise with the way that we were playing, but Wellington will have studied it. Brisbane were able to break through and counter attack on several occasions (even prior to the red card), so there are some reference points for them there, and Wellington’s game is largely about counter-attacking, so they will have a solid game plan centred around that.

1 Like

I’m excited for Chiefy’s wardrobe choice.

3 Likes

Sure, Welly may have studied it, but they’re very insistent on playing out from the back and much of it is reliant on Paulsen being able to distribute the ball safely. I haven’t seen them go direct nearly as often as trying to play it out. Brisbane were more successful last week due to some smart tactics and their ability to mix up their play more.

Wellington paying $3.05 to win at home

This’d likely be the last time, at least for the foreseeable future, that we play Nix in Auckland, right? No need to be doing outreach to the capital once they have their own club again.

1 Like

True, but presumably we’ll be playing Auckland in Auckland next time we go there.

Preview with Uffy.

Be amazing if we played Nix in Auckland and Auckland in Wellington. :laughing:

1 Like

Who cares, all dem Kiwi’s look the same to me!

1 Like

All fluffy and hoofed. :ram::sheep:

I go in with low expectations so that the only way is up, but in knowing that, my expectations go up and defeat the whole point of low expectations.

1 Like

Well I was going to be missing this game due to having to drive down to Wollongong, but my car transmission completely died on the drive down. On the downside it’s going to be very expensive to repair, but on the upside I don’t miss this game. Swings and roundabouts (which I ironically won’t be driving until the repair).

4 Likes

Did you at least get stuck somewhere good along the Princes Hwy?