Round 23 - Roar vs Sydney FC - 29/3/19

Something, something State of Origin. The one-sided rivalry continues:

What I wouldn’t give for our kit man to pack the away shirts by mistake.

6 Likes

Urgh that again.

Think Brillante will be back in the squad?

I suspect that he might be, though if it is causing ructions behind the scenes then they might keep him out of it.

If I was Josh I would be busting my arse to earn a new contract here. By refusing to be bullied into letting him go for free, SFC may very well have saved his career from stalling completely.
Pohang weren’t even prepared to pay a nominal fee to secure his services immediately so he couldn’t have been that crucial to the coaches plans. He would’ve got the odd game off the bench in the league a maybe started in the ACL when he first arrived but by the time July rolled around, he would’ve been frozen so far out of the squad his training would have consisted solely of running laps tracing the perimeter of the entire Korean Peninsula.

Ivanovic apparently went off injured in npl

Far out. Club will need to have a look into all these injuries this season.

Pohang aren’t in the ACL, and even if they were the squads have been submitted long ago. :wink:

Frankly, with the amount they’ve saved in travel and AFC fines by dodging it you’d think they would be able to afford our fee.

How many players have we got on a free? Bobo, Mierzeijewski, pretty much everyone. I mean, it’s not like Josh had 2 years left on a contract and was pushing for a free transfer.

I fully support the club as Josh is crucial to the remainder of our season but I think it is a bit rich to start claiming clubs are bullying us or Josh is having a sook.

I think the injuries is a combination of us returning to HAL averages plus having a few older/injury prone players (SDJ, Brosque, etc). We had amazing luck the last few years plus Clarkey.

Corica confirms Siem and De Silva are both fit

1 Like

Need both to stay fit and fire, for any chance at a record equalling 4th toilet seat.

Well then, that’s having an immediate impact beyond the realms of possibility when he signed. I guess that will push his lap running program back a month.

Emerton was the best one. On paper.

Don’t think anyone is actually saying that?

Pretty low chance of that regardless of their fitness.

Brillante selected:

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5. Jop van der LINDEN, 6. Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Danny DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE, 16.Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD, 17.Anthony CACERES, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 22. Siem DE JONG, 23.Rhyan GRANT, 31.Luke IVANOVIC.

two to be omitted

Ins: 5. Jop van der LINDEN (promoted), 6. Josh BRILLANTE (promoted), 11. Danny DE SILVA (return from elbow injury), 22. Siem DE JONG (return from knee injury)

Outs: 3. Ben WARLAND (ACL - indefinite), 18. Jacob TRATT (not selected).

Unavailable: 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19.Chris ZUVELA (ACL – indefinite).

Few people gonna be cranky bout tratt not being selected

Corica said De Jong and De Silva likely on the bench to start though so I cant see any big changes. Probably have

Redmayne
Grant Calver Wilkinson Zullo
Brillante O’Neill
Caceres-Ninkovic
Reza-ALF

Bench: Cisak, Jop, De Jong, De Silva, Brosque

Jop either starts or doesn’t make the bench imo. No way he should take the bench defender spot over Calver or Tratt who are both more versatile and cover FB too.

Good to see Brillante back, though part of me hopes he’s on the bench for this game. Brisbane will sit deep just like last time and so we probably need more creativity through the middle over and above the dual destroyers. Bring him on to sure things up when we’re 2-0 or 3-0 up, then unleash him to go kick some tards the week after. :+1: