Round 26 - Sydney FC vs Perth Glory - 18/4/19

So Perth have nothing to play for while a result for us here could go a long way to securing second.

I’m not sure if Perth will rotate players or not. Fingers crossed the racist will start for them.

Preview is up on the front page:

I believe we will line up as follows:

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

Wins: 25 (58.1%)

Draws: 9 (20.9%)

Losses: 9 (20.9%)

Sydney FC record at Jubilee Oval

Wins: 6 (66.7%)

Draws: 1 (11.1%)

Losses: 2 (22.2%)

Last 5 Matches

9/01/19 – Perth Glory 3 – 1 Sydney FC

21/12/19 – Perth Glory 1 – 2 Sydney FC

29/03/18 – Perth Glory 2 – 3 Sydney FC

30/12/17 – Sydney FC 6 – 0 Perth Glory

27/10/17 – Sydney FC 2 – 0 Perth Glory

Records

Biggest Win – 6 goals:

Biggest Loss – 3 goals:

21/12/08 – Sydney FC 1 – 4 Perth Glory

Most Goals in a Game – 7 goals:

31/08/08 – Sydney FC 5 – 2 Perth Glory

Most Appearances vs Western Sydney – Alex Brosque (25)*

Most Goals vs Western Sydney – Alex Brosque (12)*

Key Statistics

• Perth Glory have only won 1 of the last 11 meetings between these clubs. Sydney FC won all the other 10.
  • Sydney FC have scored in each of the last 12 meetings between these clubs, for a total of 35 goals. Perth Glory scored only 10 in that time.
  • Among the 19 times that Sydney FC have hosted this meeting, there has only been 2 draws. Sydney FC have won the last 5 home games against Perth Glory .
  • Sydney FC have a record of 8 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses against clubs coached by Tony Popovic .

Per DT, Brosque is in doubt:

Huge game. If we can outplay them and score a few we will maintain the mental edge for the GF.

1 Like

Not only that , we need to keep above the Melbourne team.

Using the discount code in the email I was able to get 10 free tickets for the game. Surely that is an error.

Email says 1 per person so yeah that feels like an error.

They get ten days off after this match and then a week off in the finals, so I’d expect them to play their first XI.

If I know Poppa, he is going to rest a stack of players now they have secured the Premiership/Premiers plate/Minor Premiership/'we are the champions" (actually no, we’re not at all. yet).

Do we give them a guard of honour? Not sure of the etiquette after Arnie baited the tards last year, but I think it would be a classy gesture.

And if it lulls them into a false sense of superiority before we turn them over in the GF then I’m all for it.

2 Likes

Danny T and Tony Pignata seemed to agree on twitter that we’d do them a guard of honour and they’d join in one for the Beard.

1 Like

Sydney FC midfielder Josh Brillante ready to concentrate on title push after missing out on move to Korea

For the second time in 10 months football dealt Josh Brillante a cruel blow, but the Sydney FC midfielder insists he can still play a leading role in the Sky Blues’ title race.

Speaking for the first time since watching a move to Korean side Pohang Steelers fall through, Brillante said he is yet to address his future beyond this season, as his Sydney contract approaches its end.

Having been cut from the Socceroos squad by then-coach Bert van Marwijk at the start of June last year, Brillante had set his heart on a switch to Korea in February — to the extent of farewelling his teammates.

Dropped by coach Steve Corica while the saga played out, Brillante insisted he had no trouble refocusing on Sydney’s campaign once Pohang abandoned their interest.

After a move to South Korea fell through, Sydney FC midfielder Josh Brillante is concentrating on trying to help the Sky Blues to the A-League title. Picture: AAP

“It’s what happens to a lot of players in football — there were a lot of ups and downs and a lot of things happening,” Brillante said.

“You just have to roll with the punches, it’s part of the game. It’s a busy period for us with three games in the past week, a couple more next week, which means we can just concentrate on the football.

“It’s just the way things go, you just get back out there. Our job is to play football and that’s the thing I enjoy doing most of all.”

Asked if we anticipated remaining at Sydney next season, Brillante added: “I’m not sure yet - actually I’m not thinking about that at all.

“We’ve got the finals coming up and we’re still involved in the ACL as well. I’m just trying to focus on that and do the best we can.”

His immediate assignment is to wrestle with the newly crowned Premiers Perth Glory on Thursday, with Sydney desperate for a win to keep Melbourne Victory at bay in the race for second spot — and to propel them into the finals.

“More so for ourselves, we want to go into the finals playing good football,” Brillante said. “Momentum helps a lot in the finals — where you sit on the table means nothing. It’s the confidence we can take from it that’s the biggest thing.

“Of course it’s disappointing (to lose the Premiers Plate to Perth), we always striving to win every game we can. We’re playing really well going into the finals and the big plate is the one we’re after.”

Meanwhile captain Alex Brosque looks increasingly likely to miss the showdown with Perth, as he battles pain in both feet in the wake of Saturday’s derby.

Already suffering plantar fasciitis in his left foot, Brosque hurt his right heel in scoring Sydney’s goal against Western Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

Though medical tests have revealed no significant damage, the striker looks almost certain to be rested to avoid worsening the injury ahead of the finals.

“It’s improving every day, though it’s still quite sore,” Brosque said. “But I had scans on it and the results are quite positive.

“It’s still probably 50:50 for Perth, but we’ll see how it pulls up in the next couple of days.”

Source

Zullo out another week, which is a massive blow to our chances. Just have to hope Perth are all hungover.

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Jop van der LINDEN, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Danny DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE, 16.Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18. Jacob TRATT, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 21. Mitch AUSTIN, 22.Siem DE JONG, 23.Rhyan GRANT.

two to be omitted

Ins: 5.Jop van der LINDEN (promoted), 21. Mitch AUSTIN (promoted).

Outs: None.

Unavailable: 3.Ben WARLAND (ACL - indefinite), 7. Michael ZULLO(hamstring – 1 week), 12. Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19. Chris ZUVELA (ACL – indefinite).

Just on the guard of honour thing, the club has already reached out to select members to participate.

1 Like

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Jop van der LINDEN, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Danny DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE, 16.Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18. Jacob TRATT, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 21. Mitch AUSTIN, 22.Siem DE JONG, 23.Rhyan GRANT two to be omitted

Ins: 5.Jop van der LINDEN (promoted), 21. Mitch AUSTIN (promoted)
Outs: Nil
Unavailable: 3.Ben WARLAND (ACL - indefinite), 7. Michael ZULLO (hamstring – 1 week), 12. Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19. Chris ZUVELA (ACL – indefinite)

Perth Glory squad: 1.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 2. Alex GRANT, 4.Shane LOWRY, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 7.Joel CHIANESE, 11.Brendon SANTALAB, 13.Matthew SPIRANOVIC, 14.Chris HAROLD, 15.Brandon WILSON, 16.Tomislav MRCELA, 17.Diego CASTRO, 20.Jake BRIMMER, 21.Jacob ITALIANO, 22.Fabio FERREIRA, 23.Scott NEVILLE, 29.Kristian POPOVIC, 33.Liam REDDY (gk), 88.Neil KILKENNY two to be omitted

Ins: 2.Alex GRANT (promoted), 14.Chris HAROLD (promoted), 15.Brandon WILSON (promoted), 16.Tomislav MRCELA (promoted), 21.Jacob ITALIANO (promoted), 29.Kristian POPOVIC (promoted)
Outs: 3.Jason DAVIDSON (knee injury – 1 week), 6.Dino DJULBIC (omitted), 9.Andy KEOGH (omitted), 27.JUANDE (groin injury – 1 week)
Unavailable: 19.Chris IKONOMIDIS (shoulder injury – 1 week)

Davidson, Djulbic, Keogh, Juande and Ikon is some big outs for Perth

Looks like Popa is resting some key players. We should really get 3 points tomorrow. If we don’t then we probably don’t deserve to finish 2nd.

Still a pretty good squad. I didn’t realise Chris “Healthy” Harold was still going. Thought he’d retired to do accountancy or something like that.

Yup its still a squad with a lot of talent. Would prefer if they cut Spira and Castro from the squad too.

100% guarantee they’ve been on the lash.

Preview is up on the front page:

I believe we will line up as follows:

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

Wins: 25 (58.1%)

Draws: 9 (20.9%)

Losses: 9 (20.9%)

Sydney FC record at Jubilee Oval

Wins: 6 (66.7%)

Draws: 1 (11.1%)

Losses: 2 (22.2%)

Last 5 Matches

9/01/19 – Perth Glory 3 – 1 Sydney FC

21/12/18 – Perth Glory 1 – 2 Sydney FC

29/03/18 – Perth Glory 2 – 3 Sydney FC

27/10/17 – Sydney FC 2 – 0 Perth Glory

Records

Biggest Win – 6 goals:

Biggest Loss – 3 goals:

21/12/08 – Sydney FC 1 – 4 Perth Glory

Most Goals in a Game – 7 goals:

31/08/08 – Sydney FC 5 – 2 Perth Glory

Most Appearances vs Western Sydney – Alex Brosque (25)*

Most Goals vs Western Sydney – Alex Brosque (12)*

Key Statistics

• Perth Glory have only won 1 of the last 11 meetings between these clubs. Sydney FC won all the other 10.
  • Sydney FC have scored in each of the last 12 meetings between these clubs, for a total of 35 goals. Perth Glory scored only 10 in that time.
  • Among the 19 times that Sydney FC have hosted this meeting, there has only been 2 draws. Sydney FC have won the last 5 home games against Perth Glory .
  • Sydney FC have a record of 8 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses against clubs coached by Tony Popovic .

Any relation?