Round 3 - Sydney FC vs CCM - 22/01/21

Also, as much as we have one of the best sides in the league on paper, I’m not really expecting a trophy this season.

For once, recruitment has been poor and with Kosta, Ninko and Wilko really getting on, top four might be our ceiling.

And that’s okay - we’ve been incredibly spoiled these last few years. We’re most likely on the way down for a season or two or longer - that’s just the reality of a capped league.

2 Likes

quitter!

3 Likes

I’m confused - are we meant to win trophies or not?

MOTM voting

https://www.sfcu.com.au/2021/01/22/player-of-the-season-2020-21/

with all the disruptions to playing rosters due to the cap changes and inconsistent scheduling, the league is there for the taking. Imo, most of the other squads look very average. If Sydney can get thier fitness up and Bobo can score at least 10 goals, trophy’s will come.

I stick by my comments in previous threads. As long as we bring our youth along and build with them we will dominate again in future seasons. Don’t give a ‘hoot’ about anything else this season.

Not going to give in to this hype about us being ‘champions’ and what not… You can’t win constantly without having/addressing the following years ahead.

2 Likes

Highlight of the night was the TIFO. We played with little intensity or speed - especially given the Mariners played on Tuesday. Also far too many missed passes :frowning:

1 Like

The only problem with that is - with a few exceptions, admittedly - Corica hasn’t really shown he trusts most of the young players.

Look at tonight’s lineup - only one inclusion who I’d consider a youth player. Trent doesn’t count as he had A-League games under his belt when he came to us.

What Bimbi does is not going to change my opinion of what should work for us.

We should always be looking towards the future, no doubt.

But if we are still in “win now” mode, which I assume is the sentiment from Corica and from upstairs, we’d better hope Bobo hits double digits, or the chances of a third-straight championship are low.

So…We were supposed to be upset while we were winning trophies? And us losing now is proof of that? Not sure I understand that type of thinking, and I’m a champion pessimist. Our men won nothing for 7 straight seasons. Then we won trophies for the 4 seasons after that. Reckon we all deserved to be happy about it. If you want to be negative, confirmation bias will always let you find negatives, and hindsight bias can always convince you that you knew all along. Any team that is good, is likely at some future point going to be less good. Any team that is bad, is likely at some future point going to be better. When Bimbi took over I heard some Sydney FC supporters say we will finish bottom. After the 2019 GF, some people said we’ll win nothing the following season. If you call tails over and over, even if it’s heads 10 times in a row, eventually you’ll be “right”, it doesn’t mean you’re a psychic who knew it would be tails.

images (1)

7 Likes

Tough but I’m probably going to default to my usual Grant/Ninko/Caceres.

To be positive, I just love watching Caceres on the pitch at this point. He has always had the technique but now he’s added a brain and more muscle to his game. Great to watch.

Not all doom and gloom/goo… I thought we again dominated the 80% of the football match that unfortunately only determines how quickly Craig Foster reaches the vinegar stroke, just outplayed in both boxes. In previous years we’d have jagged a goal from one of the numerous half chances and then gone on with it as they had to come out more. Shit happens and as frustrating as it is sometimes you have to tip your hat and know those Mariners fans were due to have a night out like that, instead of resorting to some of the fuckwittery witnessed in the Cove.

The defensive end is infinitely more fixable with Gowser to come back in. The front end… well, yeah, plenty of work to do and I’m out of ideas until Bobo is ready. Corica also out of ideas if lumping McGowan up top is any indication. It is undoubtable that Kosta needs a spell out of the side though.

I think Bobo and Trent will work. Until then we don’t have a proper 9 to go 4-2-3-1, so do we go full FIFA and play 4-3-3 with a falsey? Have to hope that ALF’s loan fee is worth all that we’ve lost.

1 Like

tbh i am not even going to bother reading the comments in this thread because i assume there is talk of us either folding the club or at least ‘season over’…after THREE GAMES. hope i’m wrong but can’t stand reading that sort of negativity.

we were slightly off the pace but if it weren’t for a millimetre offside we would have been up and i think that changes the game, we got lucky on a lot of those types of situations last season.

also the goals we conceded were an OG and a lucky deflection.

bobo coming in (for Kosta hopefully), Zullo, mgcowan, Hof/ABJ starting…may not be as easy as last season but we will be up there.

3 Likes

That’s the sort of attitude that gives you Northern Spirit. Nobody wants to support the Northern Spirit.

1 Like

We’ll go riding on the horses, yeah, yeah.

You guys were gassed by the middle of the second half You used to be the fittest team in the league. What has happened?

1 Like

It’s probably the price of keeping the rest of the team together on relatively unaffected salaries. Understandably, we’ll probably never know the true story of all that, but it would seem to make sense to me.

Asian Champions League.

Wow thanks for explaining what that is for me. You are so smart and I never knew that :roll_eyes:

Im now going to go through some old posts of mine. The problems have been around for a while, most have just have refused to admit they existed in my opinion.

May 7, 2019.

august 8 , 2019

october 27, 2019.

Because being a dick about it isn’t going to put you in favour with many people here. I know, because when I first came on the forum I learned that very quickly!

I’m going to put more thoughts into the squad speculation thread. The game is over and we have to move on from it. Not much point debating too much in this thread.