Round 5 - Sydney FC vs Wellington - 19/12/21

To my mind last game was all about seeing whether we are a top 6 side, but this game is about determining just how bad we are this season. If we really turn it on here then I guess we might click and start to push for the top six but we didn’t see that against CCM.

Wellington off the back of a four goal defeat against the Jets.

2 Likes

And a midweek win in the Cup…

Oh yeah forgot about that. Might be harder for them to back up

They got kicked around a lot too.
Avondale didn’t have a pretty game plan.

It’s not fucking Wednes …

Oh wait. It is.

Which side will turn up?

The one that plays shit and concedes goals?

Or the one that does ok but can’t score?

A win in A league men is rare
this season,ITS TIME!

We have to get a win here. There are no two ways about it.

Who is even going to play?

The dudes you had to hook at half time last week, or the dudes you thought weren’t good enough to start?

1 Like

This feels like a win at all costs type game, Wellington were hopeless last week against Newcastle. The thunderstorms predicted could be a bit of an equaliser.

The margin was big but the JETS were enormous, they put 2 excellent halves together.

Team to beat at the moment from what Ive seen.

Its a shame Thurgate is out for Sunday,I see the game at Campbelltown as game of the round.That thing down in Meckico may draw a few more spectators though!

FC have their work cut out,But the midweek hangover is on their side this time round.

Jets were very good I have to agree, their attacking play that game probably exceeded anything I’ve seen from us over the past few years except maybe the 6-1 against Victory. However I do think Wellington were poor, especially their close defending around the box. Jets at times were stringing 5-6 passes together with ease either inside or around the edge of the box. Luckily we are also decent at doing that (usually with no end product) and a tired Wellington should be there for the taking.

1 Like

Its the right game to have after last week and lets hope the team can respond and get the 3.

YES,its a MUST WIN!

There were parts where NIX were good, the JETS exploited the deficiencies though.

Pappas is in line for coach of the year imo, providing they maintain what they have shown.

Will be interesting who starts,Elvis is a must.Bimbi must have recognised that.Depends if he is up front or on the right AM?

I’m not religious but I’ll pray for no injuries!

I don’t think Wellington is going to sit back and park the bus. Bobo should be benched for this game.

But that depends on injuries. Are ninkovic and Alfie even playing?

Bobo will be rested,he can sit in the stand next to Zullo,both can be back in a week!
The cup game against Roar will be a good time to use Bobo off the bench when some tap ins are required.

I believe their icing is precautionary.

Anything but a win is unacceptable. It’s a must win fixture.

A clean sheet, multi goal win is a must to help kick start our season, although I feel if we do win, it’ll be a scrappy 1-0 thing. If we play like we did on the first half against Newcastle we should win comfortably. We can’t afford a second half performance like that, let alone a 90 minute performance like we put in aga o nest the Mariners.

Play a mixed NPL/A-league squad and focus on FFA CUP, no relegation and cup allows us for a Champions League/AFC Cup spot.

Doubt the NPL boys will perform any worse than the first teamers’ as of late.

I thought we were pretty good in the second part of the first half and much of the second half. Birrigitti seemed to make more important saves than Redders and Alf could easily have had 2 good goals on any other day. Even the top teams are losing games, there is plenty of time to build momentum and make a big run.

As for NPL boys, our younger players were among those who had very weak games vs CCM. VDS had an absolute shocker (once again), King was very weak defensively, Wood’s decision making was often off (eg when shooting). Only Yazbek, for mine, looked like he fitted at this level. (Talbot was on the opposite side of the stadium from where I was sitting and did not really notice him much)

I am really hoping that Hof is ready to play again and would have him and Yazbek as 2 DMs. They are much more akin to Brillante/Bratten and O’Neill than Retre and Caceres.

Match preview is up here: https://www.sfcu.com.au/2021/12/18/preview-sydney-fc-vs-wellington-phoenix-19-12-21/

Four games and no wins. Four games and two points. Four games and two goals. Four games, and second last.

Call it a slow start, a slump, a trend or a trough. If Sydney can’t beat a battered Wellington Phoenix on Sunday afternoon, then practically one-fifth of the season will have passed and the table won’t lie. Sydney are short-priced favourites. Frankly, it’s hard to see why …

Ins and Outs aren’t being published regularly this season, unfortunately. I’ll try to update with squads if/as they are confirmed.

1 Like

Maybe it will be like amatuer football where you have to wait and see who shows up before deciding the team.

6 Likes