Round 5 - Sydney FC vs Wellington - 19/12/21

Exciting game. Took a friend along who had never been to a professional football match and is only mildly interested in the game. He really enjoyed it, particularly watching Elvis who is always exciting, but too often previously, to little effec. Thankfully, Elvis is now using his brain much more and has become increasingly valuable to our attack.
Compliments to the Cove, small in number yesterday but huge in voice and passion. You guys are immense and I can’t wait to see and hear you - and in greater numbers - at our new SFS.

MOM for me was Yazbek who absolutely dominated in the ways that Bratten, O’Neill and Brillante have for us. Reads the game beautifully, understands spatial dynamics, is quick and mobile, is a power tackler and, with the ball at his feet, intuitively looks forward either driving or passing into attack - and has a great shot.
(Only other SFC player available who meets this description is Hof and I really want to see them play together at DM). Yazbek also made Retre’s game easier and much more productive because unlike Caceres at DM, Yaz knows where to be and what to do and thus greatly reduces the threats coming Retre’s way making his decision options clearer.
And as someone who has never really liked what Caceres offers, I think he had a very good game last night.

3 Likes

Rather worryingly Corica was saying Ninko had to have fluid drained from his knee recently. Old Father Time is catching up with him.

Match report now up: https://www.sfcu.com.au/2021/12/20/match-report-sydney-fc-vs-wellington-phoenix-19-12-21/

Sydney FC earned a satisfying first win of the season on Sunday night, surviving a late scare to beat Wellington Phoenix 2-1.

The first half was dominated by a new Sky Blue XI, with James Donachie at centre back, Patrick Yazbek in the middle, Anthony Caceres out wide, and Elvis Kamsoba as a supporting striker …

4 Likes