Round 6 - Central Coast vs Sydney FC - 1/12/18

Match Preview

A disappointing defeat against Victory on Sunday might bring us down to earth: this very clearly isn’t the same team as it was during Arnold’s tenure. This game, however, presents a great opportunity to pick ourselves up from a disappointing result. The Mariners are winless from their first 5 games (in fact CCM haven’t won a competitive game since February). There were some positive signs from CCM on Sunday as they really challenged the Glory. It took a last-minute winner for Perth to come away with all three points.

CCM do have some firepower on paper, with Ross McCormack being the obvious name. He has only scored once this season but he showed in his time at City that he can find the back of the net when given a chance. Otherwise, there have been scattered goals from throughout the team with no real standouts. Kalifa Cisse received a red card late in their game against Perth, so Jake McGing is likely to step in at centre back.

Ultimately, this is the sort of game that we should be winning. If we can’t beat a bottom-of-the-table Mariners side, then we will seriously have to reconsider our chances of competing for the title this season. Hopefully this presents a good opportunity for our attack to gel a little bit more against weaker opposition and our full backs may be able to put in crosses which are more suitable for Adam Le Fondre.

After Sunday, Corica has a couple of changes which he might want to mull over. Daniel De Silva is ineligible to play against CCM, because they are his parent club, freeing up a bench spot for one of the youth players (maybe Marco Tilio?). Of course, if Siem De Jong is back to fitness, it would be a great opportunity to ease him back in with some minutes off the bench. Corica might also wish to consider putting Aaron Calver in for Jop van der Linden, though it is hard to see him doing that off the back of just one game. Given this, our team is likely to remain the same:

The Cove express leaves Central at 2:21 and pregame drinks are at The Gosford Hotel:

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

Wins: 19 (47.5%)

Draws: 9 (22.5%)

Losses: 12 (30.0%)

Sydney FC record at Central Coast Stadium

Wins: 7 (36.8%)

Draws: 5 (26.3%)

Losses: 7 (36.8%)

Previous Meeting

24/03/18 – Central Coast 1 – 2 Sydney FC:

A majestic winner from the Albino Messiah.

Last 5 Matches

8/01/17 – Central Coast 2 – 3 Sydney FC

10/03/17 – Sydney FC 1 – 0 Central Coast

10/11/17 – Central Coast 2 – 0 Sydney FC

20/01/18 – Sydney FC 1 – 1 Central Coast

24/03/18 – Central Coast 1 – 2 Sydney FC

Records

Biggest Win – 4 goals:

5/11/05 – Central Coast 1 – 5 Sydney FC

24/01/15 – Central Coast 1 – 5 Sydney FC

15/10/16 – Sydney FC 4 – 0 Central Coast

Biggest Loss – 5 goals:

3/11/12 – Central Coast 7 – 2 Sydney FC

Most Goals in a Game – 9 goals:

22/12/07 – Central Coast 4 – 5 Sydney FC

3/11/12 – Central Coast 7 – 2 Sydney FC

Most Appearances vs CCM – Alex Brosque (22)*

Most Goals vs CCM – Alex Brosque (7)*

Key Statistics

• Sydney FC have won 9 of the last 12 games against CCM.
  • The last time Mike Mulvey faced Sydney FC (as Roar coach on 24/11/14), Sydney won 2-0. That was Graham Arnold’s third league game in charge of Sydney FC.
  • Sydney have scored at least once in each of Steve Corica’s ten games as permanent head coach. Sydney also scored in both of his games as caretaker in 2012.

Note: Appearances and goals only include league games, finals, FFA Cup, OFC and AFC Champions League and Club World Cup.

I recon we’re going to walk away with a draw from this.

CCM have been pretty trash though, so a draw would be remarkable.

1 Like

Mariners to go up 1-0 early in the game and then we come back 1-1 in the dying mins. Either that or we win 4-0.

Should be fun. I’ve got 3 years worth of bile to unload at Sthimmo.

Late winner from le Fondre after a fairly shite 90 minutes is my guess.

Would like to see Calver put in over Jop, and Brosque as an impact sub but can’t see Corica rotating.

So still no De Jong according to this:

Hopefully that means Devlin will get some more minutes with DDS & SdJ both out.

Given Corica has been pretty unwilling to trust his subs this season with decent game time, I wouldn’t hold your breath for more than 15 minutes.

Here’s the squad:

Sydney FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Jop van der LINDEN, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 18. Jacob TRATT, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 21.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY, 23.Rhyan GRANT, 24.Cam DEVLIN, 25.Joel KING, 31. Luke IVANOVIC.

two to be omitted

Ins: 18. Jacob TRATT (promoted), 25.Joel KING (promoted), 31. Luke IVANOVIC (promoted)

Outs: 11.Daniel DE SILVA (unavailable – due to loan agreement)

Unavailable: 3.Ben WARLAND (foot – 4 weeks), 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19. Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite), 22.Siem DE JONG (2 weeks - hamstring)

We’ll find a way to lose this…

1 Like

Keen for Ivanovic to get a chance off the bench. Actual left winger, with a left foot and all!

Interesting that he was picked over Tilio who actually has the youth contract. I’m guessing his performance last weekend played a big role.

He’s not in the a league squad? Disregard just noticed he is in squad

I’ve got my Haiwain shirt sorted for this game. I’m looking forward to celebrating a win again and put that defeat behind us. I think dropping Van der Linden is harsh as I still feel his is a good centre back who is still finding his feet

Steve ain’t dropping anyone. Last time we had a disappointing result (Cup final), Corica stuck with the same starters and gave them the chance to prove themselves, which they did with aplomb.

No way he’d not do the same here. It’ll be the same starting X1 same usual late first sub.

I know, I never thought Corica would drop him but I was addressing some people on here are suggesting that he should be dropped

Could easily draw or lose this. We’ve found mariners tricky.

A wizard goal seems certain

Has anyone tried the members discount code that the club sent prior to the start of the season?

Mine does not appear to be working…

Appears they’ve expired despite the membership email giving no indication that they would, you can use CENTRALCOAST and get 10% of