Round 9 - Sydney FC vs Brisbane - 7/12/2019

A back 4 worse than that was good enough to beat Melbourne.

2 Likes

For sure, Golec, Busch and Prentice may never be included in any discussion of our worst ever XI. Middleby wouldnā€™t be near it anyways.

1 Like

Seems like a lot of players from the lower English leagues come to the A-league and find it difficult/arenā€™t as good as expected. Apart from Keogh and Le Fondre I canā€™t think of many players that have come from the lower leagues of the UK and done particularly well here although I might just be forgetting others.

Iā€™ve watched a decent amount of championship games and even though the game is played more quickly in that league, a lot of the players arenā€™t as technically gifted as some of the better players in the a-league imo. I personally think if our current SFC squad and our squads from the past few years could probably hold their own at championship level.

TMac for one

Throw Roy Oā€™Donovan in that mix as well.
It seems that the strikers from the lower leagues appreciate and benefit from the slower pace and more technical build up play and service. Keogh, Alfie & Oā€™Donovan are also the type of forward that press from the front and work hard for the team, a trait that has made Besart Berisha very successful here.
It wouldā€™ve been interesting to see how Frazier Campbell would have gone here if he had signed for WSW.
Along with signing Serbs named Milos, it appears to be a very successful recruiting strategy.

Paul Ifill, anyone? Smeltz also a mention, though his glory days were a while back now.

3 Likes

So hereā€™s a weird one: Brisbane had a higher xG than we did from this game. That doesnā€™t feel intuitively right at all. Goes to show how clinical we were though.

Enough evidence to bin XG right there.

Looks like it swayed massively courtesy of the penno, but really, the only one of our chances that may have ever been missing was ALFā€™s second (a peach finish that wonā€™t always be executed). The other 4 were basically tap-inā€™s or 1 on 1ā€™s, only one of which came via a deflection.

3 Likes

Not enough talk of ALF hitting the perfect hat trick, left foot first, right foot second, third with the header.

Super rare event in professional football and definitely within the A League

9 Likes

Iā€™ll admit I had my reservations at Robbie being named as manager. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen anything as yet that makes me feel like heā€™s going to take us forward in a good direction.

1 Like

Itā€™s shit because Roar should be a decent side but after Roarcelona its been Bakries struggles then this gamble which has gone wrong. Heā€™s assumed a solid L1 level side, well trained and drilled with some decent locals (Mauk, etc) would do well but heā€™s wrong. Im glad for the HAL but looks like these will be your Farina years unfortunately.

I think itā€™s probably reflective of his goal scoring, generally right?

I was surprised looking at the stats that Roar actually had more possession and shots than us. Just goes to show that sometimes you canā€™t get the full story from the numbers.

Like everyone in the universe, Iā€™m very surprised that the xg for our goals was so low. When that ball went to Trent, it could only be a goal or what would be a bad miss. Likewise, of the other 4 goals, they were neat finishes from central positions with the opposition turned around and not making a challenge on the goalscorer. Alfieā€™s second was from further out and so required a top finish, but the other 3 looked like 50% chances to me.

Of course, exactly who is getting those chances is going to be a factor as well. So a 50% Alfie chance may be 20% if it falls to someone like Retre. Anyway, I asked Rob a few questions on how the algorithm is calculated. Hope to get some further insight.

XG needs an Alex Wilkinson variable.

Stats = Cricket.

2 Likes

We put the cue in the rack for most of the second half tbh

I couldnā€™t watch the game but I was regularly checking match stats and updates. From memory Brisbaneā€™s posession in the first half was in the 60s and their shots and SOT were similar to ours. I remember I was pretty surprised at how dominant we were on the score sheet when I was looking at the match stats.

Even the final possession stats & I was shocked but like Moller said we put the pool cue on the rack second half

1 Like

You may be interested to have a look at his Twitter account today. He doesnā€™t seem to have enjoyed this post.

1 Like