Round 9 - Sydney FC vs Brisbane - 7/12/2019

I am drunk but we should’ve been “ole” ing every pass from about 30 minutes onwards. We’re taking the piss.

1 Like

Not sure how good/bad Roar really are but we opened them up like pulling the ring pull on a can of sardines. Best attacking movement I think I have ever seen from Sydney FC - not just depending on a Milos, an Adrian or an ADP to dribble teams but half the team at a time involved in atttacks. It is just amazing what ABJ can do once he gets in the mood. So many of our players can see things so much faster than most players in the league. And contrary to many previous seasons, we can play at full pelt using a range of quick passing because the players trust in their own technique and the technique of the teammates.

“Steve Corica is Sydney FC’s best ever coach.” Discuss

He will be after he wins more trophies than GA!

Brisbane are fucking pish.

As I posted above he’s statistically at Arnie’s level. The difference is Arnie sustained it over numerous seasons and Arnie also had to completely overhaul the squad in his first and third seasons. Corica has only had to plug gaps so far, and he (along with the recruitment team) has done that brilliantly.

3 Likes

Brisbane were so bad. Like, absolutely atrocious. They were training cones out there last night.

That said, we were sublime in large patches. ABJ was pipe and slippers time, he was taking the piss at times. It’s absolute scenes that Western Suburbs messed his signing up that much last year.

Really loved Buhagiar’s cameo as well, he’s still got it.

1 Like

Despite how bad Brisbane were/are, they’re the same side that put four past second place a few weeks back. Tremendous signs for the season ahead.

The hype for Buhagiar is well and truly back on for me.

He should have put away that 1 on 1 against Newcastle or whoever it was, but his goal last night was clinical and the assist for Le Fondre was almost better…he put it on a platter for him.

Last night is the best I’ve seen ABJ play, he was the maestro of almost every attack. When he had the ball and we had ALF, Buhagiar, Kosta making runs…it’s almost unstoppable.

2 Likes

How did we lose to that sack of shit in the FFA cup? Also, top of HAL > League One.

1 Like

How was the crowd so small yesterday? We are playing so well, have some really gifted and likeable players and yet … . I think this settles the argument re marquee vs stylish team. Need to put a a call into eg Daniele Di Rossi?

I’m going to go with the smoke over the last week.

1 Like

What’s the deal with O’Neill’s knee? Picture he posted on insta shows him wearing a bunch of knee support stuff, looking more serious than just a sore knee.
Is he going to miss further weeks?

So I’m just watching the game now. I’m only 30 minutes in but can I just say - that Ninkovic goal was some amazing passing play. ABJ drifting into space in the middle, a beautiful ball out wide, Alfie drawing the defenders and Ninkvovic arriving late in the box for a perfect cross. Just magnificent.

1 Like

As CountArach said, the smoke would have played a part.

I have another theory as well - Kogarah attracts a different demographic to Allianz. With a 7:30 kickoff at Kogarah, you’re competing with a Saturday night out on the town for your 18-35/no kids demographic. Unlike Allianz, Kogarah is kind of a destination in itself with little to offer either side of the game. With Allianz, a 7:30 game means you go for a couple of drinks wherever you want in the city before the game, then afterwards continue on in one of the hundreds of bars around surry hills, darlo, CBD, cockle bay - the night is set up for you to continue on and party, so rather than competing with a night out on the town, you’re simply complementing it.

Kogarah is a lot more geared towards families - those who drive to the game with their kids, sit on the hill, then head home. 7:30pm kickoffs, even on a Saturday night, can be a bit of a turnoff for parents. The best kickoff time for Kogarah would be 5pm given that demographic.

6 Likes

In addition to bushfire smoke its Xmas party season as well.

2 Likes

I too have watched the game and it confirms a thought I had watching it live. As good as we played, Brisbane made us look better because of a tactical error they never fixed. They tried to play out from the back with a back three behind a single DM in a diamond shape. That meant that their central distributor (the DM) was always sitting in the middle of a box of ALF, Barbarouses, Bratton and Retre - and their wide CBs were always out numbered by either Grant/ABJ or Ninko/King. And when they were defending their penalty area they did not have a good shape. One back line of five and everyone erase seemed to be free styling.

I think a lot of teams will look at the City/Glory game and play the tactics Perth employed against us. Sit deep in two lines and try to score on the counter.

1 Like

Very reminiscent of 2 years ago with Ninko, Adrian & Bobo.
Kosta is taking up the Brosque role from that season very similar the Yakuza guy when they’re fighting the Mob in The Simpsons.
“But Marge, the little guy hasn’t done anything yet!”

5 Likes

In case you missed it, here’s the match highlights

Welcome to the forum Tom

2 Likes

Holy fuck, there are morons on Twitter complaining that the #SydneyIsSkyBlue hashtag is insensitive because of the bushfires…I can’t even

1 Like