Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

You can talk directly to a player inside the last 6 months of their contract without their clubs permission.

I get that if you’re angling for the free in June, but if they’re trying to nab him now before their window closes I’d have thought they should still seek our permission and agree the fee first.

Good point. Didn’t think of that. I don’t know.

To avoid paying a fee, therefore not need to make any contact with the club, can’t they just pay out his contract?
By that I mean Brillante terminates his contract by buying out the last 3 months which Pohang then compensate him for. That amount as well as any signing on fee he receives would see his agent and himself receive all of the money for the move while also costing Pohang a lot less than a normal transfer.

So, it’s getting closer and closer:

Should/will Brosque re-sign or retire?

Don’t retire I don’t want Brosquey retired

1 Like

Corica was pretty bullish on him hanging around for another season. I think he might still have it in the tank given how much he has played this season.

Would love it if he stuck around next season. Should only be off the bench though. None of this starting business.

DDS and Siem should be back for the next game.

Not what I hear about SDP. Could be a while yet.

2 weeks, pietro?

1 Like

I forgot DDS played for us lol.

We need everyone to fire the fuck up! Yesterday looked lethargic and meandering, especially in front of goal. Midweek game or not, these are professional footballers, fire up for fucks sake!!

No, what we need is a coach who adapts his tactics to extract the best performance out of the players at his disposal. Right now we resemble the Socceroos as Ange’s reign came to an end being Plan B is to do Plan A better. Players shoehorned into a formation, 3 games without a goal and only 3 wins in the last 9 games that saw us lose to Brisbane & draw with a NZ Knights-esque CCM. Of the players unavailable for yesterday’s game through injury, only SDJ would be considered a walk up starter. Saying “we need everyone fit” is a cop out, a poor excuse to cover up managerial short-comings.
Reza is a dud and his signing makes absolutely no sense. Not only have we barely scored while he is on the pitch, his arrival has also coincided with Le Fondre’s drop off in performance. There was a lot said against signing Bruno Fornaroli as he and Le Fondre couldn’t work together, maybe this is proof?
SDJ has not worked an should have been returned to Ajax during the window, even more so after Reza was signed. If the club failed to have a clause inserted that would allow them to terminate the deal of a notoriously injury prone player then it is an extremely poor bit of business.
As I have said on numerous occasions Ninko is wasted out on the left. He is double teamed the moment he cuts inside, constantly running into traffic. It only worked last season because Adrian was out on the right and you can’t double up defensively on both sides without leaving a gaping hole in the middle. It also requires him to track back, often to the edge of our box, allowing the opposition to get numbers behind the ball before he gets into an attacking area.
Retre started the season in the right attacking position and was quite effective, scoring and setting up goals and also forming a good partnership with Grant. Caceres has been less than effective there, playing like a someone who is unfamiliar/unsuited to the position. Yesterday there was the opportunity to play, even switching during the match, Caceres centrally where he is much more comfortable and have Retre play more forward thus getting a better overall performance out of the 2 but no change was made.
The continuing of a game plan that relies on crossing, very poorly it must be said, into Le Fondre & Reza who are both only 1.8m tall is absolutely baffling. When was the last time we scored from a cross to one of them, or Brosque, Ivanovic or SDJ for that matter?

How everyone being fit fixes these issues escapes me. I’m not building or jumping on a #CoricaOut bandwagon, far from it. I would like to see him show an ability to identify and address the issues that are well within his control rather than persist with the same flawed plan game in, game out.

5 Likes

Nail, head etc.

Only thing I’d disagree with is the Reza signing making NO sense. It’d make plenty if we went to a 4-2-3-1 and had him and ALF rotating, Reza playing the bulk of the ACL minutes as our +1.

Milos at 10 behind them might be enough to get me frothing again (in a good way, in the pants) and resolve the issues you’ve stated about his limited effectiveness despite him playing pretty bloody well.

Injuries, players leaving and/or just not up to the task has created a lot of variability in the starting line up. Corica is probably just trying to aim for some stability with his unchanged squad.

However if all players are available next game, we could try bringing Reza to the wing position.

Redmayne

Grant Wilko Warland zullo
O’Neill retre
Reza. SDJ. Ninko
Alfie

Subs: tratt, brosque, dds, Ivanovic

2 Likes

The problem with the Reza signing is what do you do when SDJ is fit? If we were sending him back (SDJ) then yes use the +1 on a SS type player to replace him but he stayed so we have a surplus of players to fill that role. As it is, he’s essentially Brosque’s (who’s covering for SDJ) rotating partner, not ALF’s. It would have made much more sense to use the +1 to sign a player to play the role Caceres is at the moment.
The whole January recruitment makes no sense at all apart from Caceres, although the way he is being used makes it a stupid signing as well. If the +1 was used on a wide player then there is no need to sign Mitch Austin. It would also see Caceres used as cover centrally, a bench/rotation option, instead of being played out of position.
The Reza signing is one we didn’t need for a position that didn’t need re-enforcing.

But again that is playing someone completely out of position & in a role they’re not suited to. It also highlights the needlessness of Reza’s signing. Alternatives to your front 4 are:

DDS/SDJ/Austin/Ivanovic - Milos/SDJ/Brosque/DDS/Caceres - Milos/Brosque/Austin/Ivanovic

ALF/Brosque/Ivanovic/SDJ

I forgot about Austin but maybe he is worth another shot in the second half against tired defences

Didn’t Corica and Reza both say that he can play on the right as well?

He dropped back on the right in the Adelaide game and set up himself up to score.