Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

I’d suggest that if MV lose Kosta and land Bautheac, that’s a massive net loss I’ll be delighted to see them wear. Having either Barbarouses or Rojas’s pace and directness under the cap has for me been the main reason they’ve done so well through Muscat’s tenure.

1 Like

Thoughts?

I’m in two minds about it. He’s still clearly got it, but that won’t last forever. I also dread to think about watching him age further and start to contribute nothing.

I’m for it but strictly only as a bench option. Come in with 20 to go, fire up possible tiring team, harass defences, unsettle opposition and a jag a goal here and there.

Can’t we just keep him around because we like him around?

2 Likes

While that would be ideal, that was supposed to be his role this season too. Yet he has started many games. I worry that if he sticks around, he will end up having to start games.

I love the guy, but I think another year is jumping the shark and also a slight recruitment cop out by Corica. He’s already at the tipping point in terms of his body reacting to what his mind wants to do… And I would hate to see his last season descend into a parody of what we remember him for.

Yeah, he can’t be next years injury fall back. We need the younger guys to step up and be that next year.

If he’s going to do the same again, let us sign others and then take whatever pittance is left in the cap, we’d be mad not to keep him on as a super sub.

Besides, we need to keep him on so he can lift the ACL trophy.

7 Likes

Reminder of when this guy was the Aussie Ninkovic. If we can unleash this it would be amazing but he looks lile a different player now.

He never kicked on from that first season or so with Central Coast and ended up being an average player. Its always been clear he has some good technique but for whatever reason has not ended up in much end product at all.

Caceres had his best game for FC tonight.

1 Like

100% agreed.

Reza - ST
De Jong - FW
Brosque - FW
Austin - LW

De Silva - AM
Caceres - AM

Van Der Linden - CB
Calver - CB

Are all gone at seasons end.

Question marks over:
Tratt - CB
Brillante - CDM

Warland, Trent, Zuvella - all still injured into next season.

Base on budget and positions, would you find direct replacements, or change the make-up of the squad entirely?

Out of all the confirmed outs, the only ones I’m sad to see go are Calver and Brosquey. Corica really has a good chance to recruit well now and shape the team his own way

Yeah there’s a lot less chance to coast on inheriting a top team now. Particularly if O’Neill goes overseas, he’s going to have a massive job to do. But as you said, there’s a decent amount of dead weight there now.

Has anyone noticed that the dip in domination by SFC has come on the back of the decrease in facial hair? Brosque and Redmayne are the few that have kept their beards and they’ve been pretty stand-out players this year.

Just saying…

1 Like

Happy to keep Caceres on the right wage, De Silva similar but don’t really need both of them. Would also look at Burgess and Gallifouco, an Eastern Suburbs(SFCYouth) boy and a Sutherland boy.

De Jong and Reza can go and Ninkovic can come into a high end salary cap position, then go after a quality 10 and a Striker on outside cap wages. Could use a new top draw CB(Shenkveld) as well.

Is DeJong gone 100% or are people just speculating that because of his injury record SFC won’t take a punt on another season?

He’s on loan from Ajax and so would return there unless we put in another loan bid. I doubt they would want him here long term.

Im in two minds on De Jong. He definitely adds a shitload to our attack, only issue was the injury halfway through the season…