Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

I think DeJong is all class…BUT will he see out the season???

A few days ago everyone was lamenting how we had no one in the middle every time ALF pulled wide, and our second string #9 is currently Charlie.

We’ve also transitioned into much more of a 4-2-2-2 than a 4-2-3-1, so having another striker would allow Brosque to be the bench impact player he was always supposed to be this season.

ALF and Bruno are both far more mobile than Bobo, both capable of pulling wide or dropping in as the second striker. It just might work and cause havoc for opposition defences.

ALF pulled wide because of lack of service. Bruno doesnt help that but rather just makes similar runs and denies ALF even more ball and chances. They dont work unless you tell ALF to play wide and thats a complete waste. Its a classic theyre both great players but both too similar and together would the less than the sum of its parts.

And complaints over a backup 9 being not good enough are as old as the league itself. No one has a good backup 9.

I dunno. I’m old enough to remember when EVERYONE played with 2 up front. :wink:

I thought this meant Cazarine :confused:

1 Like

I’m fine with two up front but they’ve got to be different types of players.

But either way it’s a pointless discussion because we don’t have a marquee spot. City aren’t going to release Fornaroli to sign with another team in the league. And even if that did work signing him now would be a waste when there’s other parts of the squad more in need of a boost.

Agree with the first half of that, it’s very unlikely. But our backline & midfield is just fine, so it’s the front third where we need to strengthen.

We should get a fit de Jong back soon so exactly what we need will hopefully be clearer by the time the window even opens. It’s just worth thinking outside the box and not only along the lines of “must replace Buhagiar”… granted the kid was on fire, but no one went into this season thinking he was going to be key or the irreplaceable one.

Also, just shooting shit as it’s super unlikely, would anyone take Adrian back after the nasty breakup? Unlikely he’ll stay where he is with WangChung Yatai having gone down.

Easily. If he fitted into the cap I’d be more then fine with using the last visa spot

Yeah though not on a long term deal.

rather we look for someone as a longer term prospect rather than a 6 month stop gap. Sign them on a shorter dealer with an option to extend

Actually, i like that Bruno and Alfie are alike…both score sausage rolls, give me ten of those any day!

Thinking back to the FFA Cup, Buhagiar occupied a very wide striker position, which I think Fornaroli is capable of doing. I’m iffy on him, but he’s a prolific forward in the league.

Would rather we start Charlie (big man) with ALF (small man) for a few games. Brosque should be an impact player when we’re playing WSW or similar, he’s not quite up to starting.

The problem with that is that Charlie doesn’t play like a target man. He is big, but rubbish in the air and will mostly play others in with his feet.

Honestly don’t need Bruno. If we’re going for an injury replacement I think we need someone who is identical to Buahgiar. ALF and Buhagiar complemented each other so well before Trent got injured. We are just lacking that pace that keeps opposition defenders on their toes. As skilful as Fornaroli is he is not super speedy

With how crap he played on Sunday, when the scout was supposedly there, I’m hoping they’ve lost interest and we can keep him for a bit longer.

Well,words Ive read said there are 3 clubs in the Championship interested.I’d like him to stay but if he goes and adapts to the level there,Arnie will bring him into the Socceroos for sure.

Nah, fuck him. He was onto a good thing here and threw a wobbly, wouldn’t take him back. My pettiness overrules logic in Adrian’s case.

De Silva is playing for the youth team today to get some game time:

That same article mentioning Bobo to Adelaide links is to Djite

“Meanwhile, Djite, 30, is destined to make a return to Sydney — his home state in January — but it’s not clear whether he will continue his career with Sydney FC.”

I don’t know how I would feel about that. He has never been particularly prolific, though I do feel like he always scored against us.