Squad speculation thread 2019/20

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Tilio and Zullo at MacArthur next season.
Zullo showed his displeasure at being dragged after 60 minutes last night and it could be seen as King being the #1 LB in Corica’s eyes now. Would he want to hang around if that’s the case? It would also make sense to get his wage off the books of he’s only going to be coming off the bench at best.

Zullo would have to get mutual, signed on for two more years

With the extra subs at the moment I don’t think any players should be frustrated at being subbed.

Didnt get that it at all. Not like him and he’s on the way back.

King has been improving, has more confidence now and a neat touch but he is no Zullo. Zullo was a game winner at King’s age and brings much more aggression and decisiveness in defence and more enterprise and imagination in attack. And watching him and Ninko is a joy - they really are on the same wavelength.

3 Likes

LOL @ Zullo being a match winner at 19. That was literally his first season at the Roar. Sure, he played some games that season but my memory of him right till he left Australia was that he was very raw and with a hugely unreliable end product.

I think King is doing okay, and we’ve done fine this season having to use him. He’s not over-complicating his game. It might stunt his effectiveness going forward, but I’d rather a defender worry about his defending first. I feel his defending has improved a lot over the course of the season

2 Likes

only thing that bugs me with king is that his attack is very predictable. I’m guessing that’s all the coaches want him to do at the moment but it’s always one touch, cross. There is no move to progress his position and get to a more dangerous spot. Where Zullo is pushing on more, looking to get past the other full back.

Hopefully that confidence and ability progresses more.

Peak Zullo and beast mode Grant are waaaaaay too good for HAL. Expecting King and VdS to get to that level isn’t realistic.

I’m still hopeful for Tsattalios.

2 Likes

Clearly seen on the tv footage. Stormed off without acknowledging Stevie or anyone on the bench when he took his seat. Even ABJ, also not happy to be taken off, still gave Corica and elbow bump.

King getting further forward than he had all game and whipping in a peach of a cross within 1 minute of coming on probably didn’t make the situation any better.

I think there’s going to be a lot of players getting mutual in the next few months. The salary cap will more than likely be lowered for next season and possibly longer and owners will no doubt be looking to reign in the budget in the current economic climate.
If Macarthur are happy to match his wages then getting mutual will benefit all parties in the long run.

1 Like

It actually wouldn’t surprise me if the cap is suspended for a season or two, or eliminated entirely.

The reality of the cut in broadcast revenues is that a cap would have to be lower, but then I’m not sure what would be a clean solution to honouring existing contracts. It would be incredibly unfair for clubs to be stuck wasting huge portions of cap on players with multi-year deals that simply aren’t worth the money under the lower cap, and beyond that short term distortion such a change would leave a legacy of discouraging long-term contracts – which is the exact opposite of what’s good for the league from several perspectives.

Some clubs were agitating for the elimination of the cap at the best of times, and in the situation we find ourselves in it may well be the cleanest way out for all parties. It would also help pave the way for a proper domestic transfer market and eventual second division going forward.

The cap won’t be dropped. It’s the maximum that teams can pay for players so it doesn’t really have much impact on financial outlay. Teams will have to decide themselves if they’re willing to pay players their respective salaries. It’s teams like CCM that are reliant on the salary floor more that will have to have it dropped. Can see the FFA forking over some big cash to ensure that the smaller teams are viable over the next year or two

I mentioned in a post somewhere on here a couple of weeks ago that lowering or removing the salary cap floor would make more sense then lowering the cap.
Any club that doesn’t honour an existing contract faces losing the player for free so lowering the cap immediately isn’t an option that will be supported by the club owners and possibly the PFA.
As it is, TV revenue makes up a bigger portion of the poorer clubs revenue than it does clubs such as us and the 2 Melbourne teams. All 3 could still run the current wage bill whereas the poorer clubs will struggle to meet the cap floor with the forecast drop in the tv revenue.
There’s too many players in the league earning a wage far beyond what their market value would suggest they should be getting paid and this is a direct result of the salary cap floor.
There’s a minimum wage that players must receive so that will ensure that all clubs have fully professional squads. If a few journeymen decide to leave the league due to the lower money on offer it will offer more chances to younger players to gain an opportunity which is only going to be a good thing for the league. All reducing the cap will do is see the better players leave thus reducing the quality and marketability of the league.

1 Like

Zullo was a bit miffed, but i think that was more him being pissed off with the way the game was going. I remember in 16/17 Holosko did similar in I think the 0-0 against WSW and that was pretty much a “what else can we do to win this” annoyance.

At this point you’d have to say, probably offload Barbarouses and bring in a quality DM, right?

1 Like

How do you offload him?

Barbarouses is a definite sell but finding a buyer at the right price might be hard given he’s got 2 years left on his deal.
With Zuvela coming back to fitness I’d hold out on a DM until he’s been given a shot. I have no problem with the Bratten/Retre midfield we have at the moment.

3 average games after winning the league at a canter and we need mass changes?

Dont ever change SFCU.

9 Likes

I guess we have to ask if Buhagiar is ready to start yet or if his success is inflated by him coming on late against tired legs. I’m not convinced he is at a level where he’d be starting a season for a club at our level.

The Feasting of the Goo

I feel like, making one change isn’t exactly “mass changes” but i guess if you’re comfortable with that amount of hyperbole, that fine I guess - we can work around that… But, I’d say that Brandon O’Neill arguably had more to do with this championship than Kosta has. And we just haven’t replaced him.

I mean, its not exactly come out of nowhere. Kosta has ranged between poor and reasonable all season. I think people have been patient with him, if anything. We’re waiting for him to fire - but its clearly not happening.

Now, maybe we simply can’t offload him. I tend to think someone out there would want him and we could get mutual. But he’s taking up a visa slot and marquee spot(?). And he’s simply not justifying it. Maybe we can carry him though. I assume we’ve got a bit of cap space left after Brandon (who must have been on decent money) left?

3 Likes