Squad Speculation Thread 2021/22

That sucks. Not sure why we didn’t go for Jurman now. Who else is available?

Totally understandable. Warland deserves a spot but does make it hard when Wilko wraps up. Calver would have been great in retrospect.

Time to fire up transfermarkt and use our foreign slot.

It’s good that we have plenty of time before next season starts. Guessing it’s October again.

I can’t remember a bad performance from any defender this season, couple of individual mistakes but everyone that came in did their job. Did we not finish with the least amount conceded all season?!

Wow that’s a really big loss for us

Because we already have a left footed CB who can actually pass.

Gowser will be a loss of course, he was immense for us. But less worried about it now than I would’ve been 2-3 months ago when he would’ve been priority #1 to extend. Wilko & Warland were really good together, we just need to lock down el capitano for as long as he wants and have a plan in place to get Gowser back when he’s done.

There will be a drop off in quality to whoever’s on the bench now that Warland’s starting, but all part of the cycle and a chance for youth. Would’ve loved to get Calver back for those 3 to rotate as needed.

1 Like

Kinda makes letting Flottman go a bit silly.

So there must be a plan in place.

2 Likes

I agree, I think we’re fine going in with Wilko and Warland as our first-choice centre halves. Having lost Flottmann we might need to pick someone up for the bench, but I don’t think it’s worth spending a foreign spot on. An injury for Wilko though (God forbid) and we’ll need some mid season recruiting magic again

McGowan is a big loss. He’s been superb for us and has a great partnership with Wilko. Wish him all the best though with his next move. And Warland really stepped up so that does soften the blow.

As for saying we should have gone for Jurman or Calver, it’s impossible to know when the interest for McGowan came in. Only a few days ago we said we were still negotiating with him so it’s likely to club only knew very recently when it was too late

Jurman has fallen off a cliff since he left us. Very pleased we didn’t go for him.

Lets tempt Seb back as squad cover

1 Like

With Warland’s injury history, we absolutely need reliable backup at the very least. Calver gone, Flottman gone, if Mlinarić couldn’t even get a run in a cup game in Croatia I’m not sure he’s ready yet for us.

1 Like

Jurman has appalling distribution. A league has passed him by. Average at Wanderers.

1 Like

Also, i don’t mind Gowser picking up some middle east money while he can.

What’s Jordi up to these days?

Would be good to get a ball playing CB in the Collosimo mold.

1 Like

So, Bakary Koné finished his contract in India and is 33 so still has some footy in his legs. Could be worth a shout. Another that’s a free agent is Gastón Campi.

Yes, I have spent the last 20 mins on Transfermarkt, thank you for asking.

2 Likes

Both have pretty decent CVs.

Corica’s overseas recruitment has been a mixed bag. In 18/19 he bought in ALF who was obviously the biggest success and an immense Bobo replacement. Then there was Siem who did great things and will always remember that impossible angle goal but he couldn’t stay fit, Jop who looked a great signing on paper but had unfortunate injury issues and Reza, another who looked a great signing on paper, but never got going. 19/20 He went safer and bought in ABJ and Kosta who were already in the league and known quantities. 20/21 He played it even safer only bringing back Bobo and ALF.

The C/VS of those signings suggest theres some good contact there but didnt always hit the mark. Be interesting to see how he plays his cards and whether the promoted Warland and either decides to bold Milnaric as backup or makes a squaddie signing and uses the foreign spot in midfield or brings in a visa signing in defence (Mlinaric probably wont see a pathway then) and either runs with the current midfield plus Burgess or brings someone else in. Alternatively he plays by recent moves and brings in out of contract A-League players.

Intersting times for the club.

He’s living the dream playing for the mighty Kyoto Sanga in J2.

Decent free wedge at present. ABJ and Gowser would be on bigger salaries. Caceres payrise and Burgess coming in should leave something reasonable leftover. Brillante + a Warland copy?

Brillante and visa CB would be a good shout. We could line up (4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1):

Redmayne
Grant - SERGIO RAMOS- Wilkinson-King
BRILLANTE- Brattan
Kosta-Caceres-Ninko
ALF

Bench: TWB, Warland, Mlinaric, Retre, Hoff, Burgess, Bobo, Wood, Ivanovic