Squad Speculation Thread 2021/22

We used to have a big arse lizard that lived near our pool, it didn’t give a fuck and arked up at the two dogs. We named it Carl.

2 Likes

Amini is looking a class above.

5 Likes

Now that we’ve seen a fair bit of the new signings, should we have let ABJ go for Burgess? Even with the import spot taken up?

He certainly not looking like he hasn’t played in ages. Such a great talent, and he’s only going to improve.

He was lucky not to get a couple of yellows tonight though. A few challenges in the last 10 minutes or so could have seen another yellow. Good to see him throwing his weight around though.

Yes.

1 Like

I’m okay with that trade off. We’d seen the best that ABJ has to offer, but Burgess still might find another gear. Plus Burgess is almost certainly on less coin.

1 Like

… and Burgess sprints back to defend and actually tackles. Unlike ABJ.

Oh yes that’s what makes him great.

He sprints back and tackles.

Too bad he offers nothing else.

Yep. That foul in the dying minutes to halt Kruse’s counter came from an experienced player who’s learnt a few things. Happy he’s with us.

5 Likes

Amini’s tug on Koonttruise was highlight of the match, lowlight was that koonts goal.

I mean, watching one MV player destroy another’s face under no pressure…
You don’t like to see injuries, but the defender in me had a chortle at the communication fail.

Other highlights, pasty white boyz in the Melbourne terrace stripping shirts only to be sitting there glum minutes later after second equaliser. Victory team throwing toys out of the pram about a high foot. That short goal kick routine trying to play out that backfired spectacularly, and just about anything pink-top Davidson tried for the same reason.

Also liked the bit where we didn’t lose, and played an entertaining, attacking game away from home.

2 Likes

People criticise Trent B for missing those chances (and others in the past) BUT no other of our players could have have even gotten into those positions to score; he is that much faster than anyone else and his runs are getting better. More games where we play out quickly and more directly to the front 4 will mean he has more opportunities to get behind defences. People here looking forward to Kosta coming back ‘to score goals’ have amnesia about the first half of last season. Likely Alf will take Trent’s spot at 9 alongside Elvis.

I have always liked Amini but can’t see him as a Brattan replacement as a 6. More like a central 8 or 10. Defence does not come instinctively to him - witness goal 2 when he lost Kruse completely while ball-watching. Am really hoping to see a fit Hof back partnering Yazbek at DM. Question is, would Amini be a wide AM or will we change formation to allow him to go central?

Sadly, VDS is the latest incarnation of Bernie Ibini at SFC, for both their positive and (particularly) negative attributes/attitude.

1 Like

Hard to tell them apart, actually.

2 Likes

I’m gonna go with a no

Shout out to the skinny pimply teenager in the Souf End who tried to give it large and instantaneously got pelted with a barrage of drinks. If Trent was as accurate as The Cove we’d have won. :wink:

1 Like

Corica has said that we are looking for a player to bring in but so far have found nobody.

Is it really that hard to find a decent striker or midfielder to bring in?

Why are we struggling to bring anybody in?

We’ve sure had enough time by now

Because we can’t compete financially for players that would make a difference?, becuase foreign players are leery of coming to a country with a history of tight border control during an ongoing pandemic? Because mid-season transfer targets are thin on the ground?

Plenty of reasons, do you see any other A-League clubs making big mid-season moves?

1 Like

I like the way Archie ( Impartial pundit) was almost sitting on the Melbourne bench looking very unhappy with proceedings , he tried to put on a brave face at the end but everyone knows he is a one eyed MV supporter.

1 Like

I did notice the Mariners just brought in a striker from my home team Dundee , not saying it’s a BIG transfer but I’m interested to see how he goes .

Cummings needs a new start, and an attitude reset. Hope it works out for him but I think his path is set, a few weeks of glory then a drug/drink/underage sex scandal will do for him.