The A-League Pub Quiz - BYO Cup holders

I remember our 9-goal fest with CCM very well. But I think there’s matches with more goals than that. I remember CCM being on a larger loss, also - so might well be them involved in the bigger scoreline…

Yeah, I remembered the 5-4 Battle Of Bluetongue / Daft Punk game and the 7-2 loss to Arnie up there, plus a few other 9 goal games around the league.

So thought there must’ve been a 10 goal outlier and guessed Adelaide 9 - 1 Fury, that was actually only 8-1 and the only 10 goal games were both Mariners on the end of 8-2 hidings.

Funny - I also misremembered the Adelaide - NQ one as 9-1.

I knew the CCM ones, because I tell my trauma therapist about them on a regular basis.

Good stuff - I am self reporting as 10 (inclusive of bonus points) if you’ll allow Shannon Cole as a SFC international.

I will forget what I had for lunch yesterday, but I still remember the Roar signing Remo Buess 17 years ago. Cooked.

2 Likes

Whoops. Yeah, forgot to add the answer to the highest scoring game. I’ll add it when I get home from work tonight.

Do you want me to put this week’s questions up tonight too? I’ve already written them out. :smirk:

1 Like

Self reporting 6 for last week if we’re allowed to do some self reporting. No bonus points but was only a couple off Durante’s total appearances.

So a bit of a trick question this one. Because it’s actually happened twice before.

Highest score is 8-2. Both involving the Central Coast Mariners. Both were home games for the Mariners.

14 April 2018: Central Coast 2-8 Newcastle Jets
9 March 2019: Central Coast 2-8 Wellington Phoenix.

You’d 8-2 be a Mariners fan. :wink:

So I just reviewed the answers, and I didn’t realize that @dibo_returns got both those correct. I misread his answer and thought he just got the Jets one correct. He got the Phoenix one correct too. So slight adjustment to the ladder after round 1…

Position Forumite Score
1 dibo_returns 10
2 BlueSky 9
3 Hybrid 8
4 b0b_444 6

So I’ll put Round 2 up tonight, and close submissions on Sunday night at 9pm. Gives people a bit longer to have a go. However, you can only PM me your answers once.

1. Which Stadium has hosted the most A-League Grand Finals?

2. Which A-League club has the record of the most overall losses (2005-current)

3. To date, only 1 A-League goalkeeper has scored during a match. Name that player.
    (Bonus point, against what club)

4. Who is the leagues shortest serving manager? (Extra point, what club? )

5. Bobo currently holds the record for the highest amount of goals scored during a season (2017-2018) How many did he score?

6. Who am I?

Born in West Germany in 1981, I moved to New Zealand as a small child, however would re-locate to Australia at the age of 6 pursuing a football career through the Queensland academy of sport. At high school I was good friends with future professional surfers Mick Fanning and Joel Parkinson. I was granted Australian Citizenship at the age of 23, allowing me to play for Australia, New Zealand, or Germany. My early career saw me play for the likes of Adelaide City, Adelaide United and even Brisbane Strikers in the old Australian National Soccer League and I also had a couple years in the now defunct New Zealand National Soccer League, before becoming a life long journeyman. I had a few years kicking around in the English lower leagues, before returning to Australia, where I had successful stints at 4 different A-League clubs including two different stints with 2 two different A-League clubs, in-between short term contracts with clubs in places like Turkey, Malaysia and Indonesia.

At international level, I chose to represent New Zealand over my country of birth, and adopted nation. I have represented New Zealand at both the Olympic Games, and the FIFA World Cup. I hold the distinction of being the first A-League player to score at the FIFA World Cup.

1. Which clubs participated in the Sydney Festival of Football in 2010? (Not including Sydney) (1 point per correct answer)
  2. Which 2 foreign teams came out to Australia to participate in the now defunct A-League All-Stars games? (1 point per correct answer)
  3. Who is the current highest goal scorer for Sydney FC in derby matches against Western Sydney Wanderers? (Bonus point if you correctly guess the amount scored)
  4. Which Sydney FC player currently holds the record for the most red cards accrued in all competitions (Bonus point if you correctly guess how many)

Good questions!

Presumably permanent appointments and not caretaker stints?

Correct. Caretakers not included. I thought I had added that in.

Just got home from the game, so get your answers in if you haven’t already.

Gonna do some chores around the house, and then sit down and compile the answers.

Sorry lads. Fell asleep on the couch last night. Think I had a touch of sunstroke from yesterday (the copious amounts of beers probably didn’t help).

I’ll endeavour to get all the results up tonight after work.

Right, so after what I thought was a touch of sunstroke last week, turned into a full-blown bout of Gastro, which the missus and I both fell down with. This is really the first opportunity I’ve had to come back on the forum all week, between spending most waking moments pounding the porcelain, with my head in a vomit bag. It’s been a rough week, so was pleased to log in and see people’s enthusiasm for this round.

I’ll endeavour to get all of round 2’s answers in by tomorrow night after work, and then start working on week 3, hopefully without needing to do the clench & dash between the dining room table and the bathroom more than once or twice.

Take your time mate, I’m sure everyone’s keen to see the results, but there’s no need to rush.

3 Likes

So been wanting to start this up again for a little while.

Making it easier on myself and using a website for the Quiz. Hopefully this works. :crossed_fingers:

You may need to create an account - but use your forum names to make it easier.

1 Like